Wednesday, March 21, 2007

ZZZZ

I just got off of nights, so we'll see how much sense this makes.

I am settling in to my preceptorship and am enjoying it and feeling pretty comfortable now. Not that things won't come up where I am not sure what to do, but I'm used to the routine again.

I like it a lot and it's 1/2 way done. Only 8 more shifts til I'm finished. Honestly, at this point, I feel like it's time I got paid for doing all the work. My preceptor is great, though now she is on holidays, so I have a new one for the rest of my time. He's a great nurse too, and i like him a lot. Laid back.

Last night 1 nurse (who shall remain nameless) was quite frankly a potty mouthed baby. During report, he couldn't stop swearing and complaining about his patient load that was 'so much worse than anyone else's.' I saw my old preceptor from a previous practicum on my way out this am who asked how the night was...'Good" I said "except for _____, who felt that the night was too busy" "oh ______, he's always that way", with disgusted shake of head, said my old preceptor. "Some of these guys (meaning generic male/female) are so lazy!" I agreed wholeheartedly.

I felt like shaking him and telling him to shut up. He did improve during the night, but I have to come up with a plan to deal with people like this. Quite honestly, I feel if you're like that, you shouldn't be nursing anymore. If you don't like your job, leave, people are much too vulnerable. Though from what I saw, he was pleasant w/patients. I think what I may do is ask in a non-threatening way, "Wow, you seem to dislike your job, have you thought about going into another area?" Preferably where I won't be. I guess the thing that bugs me about this type of person is that their draining negativity affects me and I also feel that it is important for me to express somehow that I'd prefer not to hear a constant stream of it. I just looked at him blankly when he did this last night. Any other suggestions besides my comment about getting into another area??

OK, on to other things...I am really enjoying my time there, except for a couple bad mood nurses, but most are good, friendly and helpful. Along with very funny senses of humour.

And the patients as always are great: sad, funny, charming, intriguing, sometimes odd, rarely slightly terrifying, always interesting.

Richard and I go to Vancouver tomorrow for a couple days! He's on a well-deserved spring break, I have a couple shifts at work (for $$!!) this weekend, but am off practicum now until Tuesday, so we are staying in a shi-shi hotel 1 night, and probably a cheap motel the other! I want to go to Sun Yet Sen gardens, Commercial Drive, the ocean, and the Safe injection Clinic, if it works out. Richard is not all that interested in the safe injection clinic. He wants to buy shoes.

So, I'm a happy almost RN.

And I was talking with someone I know form the St. John's Nfld area who gave me suggestions on things to do while we're there. She said if I told her the dtaes we were there, her parents would probably invite us over for a genuine Nfld supper. (though I don't like fish....) They live about an hour outside St. John's. However, I feel a bit awkward, I really don't know her all that well, only through a few times I've worked with her at the hospital. What do the rest of the travelling companions think?

Also, you are all invited to my grad on June 7, though with you all coming in July for houseboat, I suspect it may be a stretch. However, the hooding ceremony is just for nursing students, and is actually much nicer than just a regular university grad. we have pictures, slide show, music, hoods, and only 90 students versus 500-1000 at university. I went to one a couple years ago and got kind of misty, though I didn't know the grads that year. I'd love for all to come, but understand if you can't.

OK, have to write a journal for my prof, guess what I shall focus on? Yes, Bad-Mood Nurse Colleague.

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Lisa's dream vaction: a night in a chi-chi hotel and a visit to a safe injection site.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I am with Richard. Shoe-shopping over injections anytime. Sorry Lisa!

If I was able to come to NFLD, I would definitely go dine with the random Newfies. I haven't had a fun evening of Jigg's Dinner and trying to guess what someone is saying through the accent for a very long time.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home