Saturday, March 03, 2007

Woonsocket How it got it's name

The name Woonsocket is derived from a Native American word. It is widely believed to mean "thunder-mist" in reference to the largest waterfall on the Blackstone River, which lies at the center of the city. Recent scholarship puts this translation in doubt. The city likely was named after the impressive Woonsocket Hill in neighboring North Smithfield. The meaning of the name is a mystery. Nevertheless, the term "thunder-mist" is used by several local businesses, including the city clinic.

Thanks to Wikipepdia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Thanks for that! Curiosity satisfied...

9:30 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Would I go to the "thunder-mist" medical clinic? I'm really not sure. I guess it depends on the procedure I needed done.

6:43 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

I really like Thunder Mist as the translation for Woonsocket-thanks for the info

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home