Monday, March 05, 2007

Sad sad news

I can hardly believe this as I am writing. My boss Brian Mazza, editor of The Mountaineer, died yesterday.
Last night there was someone ringing our door bell - it was Ruth a friend of ours who also volunteers with victim services. She came to tell us that Brian had been found at his house yesterday evening, dead of a heart attack or stroke or maybe aneurism. They were trying to get hold of all the Mountaineer staff.
Everybody went to work today. Glen (the publisher and Brian's brother) was there and we all just did what we could to get the paper ready to go. I think it's probably going to be printed late but it will go out this week. We were all in shock, it was a very difficult day. But The Mountaineer is a great place to work; it's almost like a family, in fact that's what it felt like today.
I just can't believe that he's dead. And it's hard to see how that family can carry on, especially Brian's mom, whose husband Lawrence died in October.

7 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

That's so sudden, you must all be in shock. How old was Brian?

And how awful for all his family, after, his Dad dying just a short while ago.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I'm really sorry to hear this, Theresa. That is sad news. I'm not sure if it's easier or harder to have to keep the paper / business moving on after something like this happens.

7:56 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

That is very sad news Theresa - a sudden death is so difficult for everyone, friends and coworkers as well as family. It was a good thing I t6hink for you all to get the paper out-sort of a sign of respect for him.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I was so sorry to hear about Brian. I remember when he let me interview him in high school for that dumb "What I Want to be When I Grow Up" report. He was very nice about it. I can't believe he's gone.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Brian-- I was just thinking-he was younger that us I think. Our thoughts are with you.
BA

4:31 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Brian was 45. It's been quite a week at work. We got the paper out this week although it was a bit late. The whole place is covered in flowers and apparently there are even more at Mildred Mazza's house. The owner of the A & W said he wanted to do something for The Mountaineer staff so he is sending supper over to the office tonight. Very thoughtful. Brian was someone who was very much a part of the community and this has affected a lot of people. I suppose his funeral will be even more packed than Lawrence's was.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

It is so sad to hear, what a hard time it will be for the his family, and the family at the paper. It always seems weird when the person is younger than us and they are gone.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home