Saturday, July 02, 2011

New Job

Yesterday was the first official day of my curacy! I didn't actually have to do any work (as it turns out, even clergy get Canada Day off). I used the time to move into my new cottage (pictures on the way soon). The cottage is quite nice - very close to the church hall, but still quite separate. It has two bedrooms (one now a study), and a big living room and huge kitchen. The church has been working over time to fix it up for me, including some new lino in the kitchen and new carpet in my bedroom. They also collected lots of household items, like towels, and non-perishable groceries.

Today was my first day doing any actual work - we had a committal service at at funeral home in the morning (prayers before a cremation), and in the afternoon Peter, who is my supervisor, and I went over how Sunday will work, and a host of details. I'm preaching tomorrow, at all 4 services!

I spent this last week at a clergy conference - all the Anglican clergy of the diocese got together, and the Bishop brought in a husband and wife team to talk about "Worship and Mission after Christendom". It was OK, but I didn't agree with every thing they said. Since I was the new guy, I just kept my mouth shut though.

At the clergy conference different teams of people take turns leading the morning and evening prayers. The Archdeacon had asked Peter and I to do evening prayer on the first day. Peter arranged it, and it was a mostly sung service, which he led. He did, however, make me give the reflection! It turns out that I find it quite nerve wracking to have to give a reflection in front of dozens of new colleagues and the Bishop. I think it went alright though- I did not drop my notes, or repeat myself too much.

The conference was a beach front resort in Parksville, which was nice. The weather has been quite awesome here.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Did you guys go swimming at Parksville?

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of cottage.

4:22 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

We're planning on coming for a visit-on Friday-just for overnight. Do you have room? If not we'll just sleep at the church in between pews

8:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

There's probably room in the cemetary.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

tremble.

1:54 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I have an allergy to satin lining, so coffins are out

6:01 PM  
Blogger Will said...

The cemetary is full, but I have room!

6:53 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Phew!

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home