Thursday, February 07, 2008

ordered tests

Just got back from Red Deer. I had to go for a CT scan. I was quite excited at first. Just like House! But then I realized that CT scans must be second-class. They never show them on House. It has to be an MRI to be really diagnostic.
I told my doctor I wanted to be checked for an aortic aneurysm so he sent me for an ultrasound. He called me back after in the evening (a call from the doctor at night is enough to stop your heart) and said there was no evidence of an aneurysm but that they found a cyst on one of my kidneys. He had ordered an abdominal ultrasound so they check all the organs. He said they aren't usually a problem but once they are found they need to be checked so he was going to send me to Red Deer. I immediately ran to Google kidney cysts and to save you the trouble they are usually nothing and 50% of people over 50 have them and never know.
Anyway I took the whole day off, did a bit of shopping in RD and came home to make bread and do housework.
It was the hockey girls' tournament here last weekend so we were at the arena a lot, watching games and doing our share of tournament work. Grace's team didn't do very well, but they did tie a game and Grace got a goal in that game and MVP. And I won an iPod docking station in the raffle, which I gave to the MVP.
Betty Anne and Greg were in Red Deer last weekend for Matthew's volleyball tournament so they came out to Rocky and took us to supper at the Martesa. Delicious food, actually cooked, not just heated from frozen.
We've had a couple of warmish days but cold weather is supposed to be on the way again.
Judith, what's this I hear about Hawksley Workman? (I wish that was his real name.) You better not lead my daughter astray in our absence. Or let her lead you.

12 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

ps I also have another problem, gynecological in nature, which I may have to have surgery for (going to gynecologist later in the month). And my blood pressure isn't very good. So Dad was right - never go to the doctor, they just find things wrong.

3:01 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

They did find a passle of stuff wrong with you - my goodness! Anyway its better to know and get it all looked after early on.
Congrats to th MVP and to the ipod winner. Its funny, one can go for years with nothing wrong then Boom.
The weather here has finally warmed up, but it still keeps snowing - it 10 yrs ago that we had this much but its supposed to be up to +9 on the weekend, altho those weathermen lie a lot esp this year.
Went to the doc the other day and am in good shape - he reduced the med for PMR - says I can probably go right off it soon.

5:53 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Hey! Mom and I are online at the same time!

5:54 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Theresa, I hope you stay away from doctors now. they must be after your money. What kind of surgery?
Maybe you have white coat syndrome? Oh, wait, that's me.
I went to Dr. today to get Effexorated. I said that I had tried to decrease, no luck, but when on it, I feel normal. Then said, you know, you might have to always be on it
I told him about family numbers on it. he said they should do a study on us. And that 'well, you really might have to always be on it' He's a good guy.

Even if MRI's are the really important test, CT scans do look really interesting.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Please keep us posted re: kidney & CT scan...

9:25 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I went to the Dr too, and had good news, my cholesterol had gone down since I was last there 3 months ago, so no pills for me. And she checked my BP and was pleased with it as well, high because of the white coat thing, but way lower than the last time I was in. And my Dr is having another baby, that makes 3.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Who else has had an aneurysm check?
How did you get your cholestoral down, Hudith?

2:25 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I have access to an MRI scanner! (or at least there's one in the building that I am "safety-trained" to use). Doesn't feel much like House, though.

Hope everything is okay, mom, but glad you are getting it checked.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Anne, are you going to do MRI scans for everyone when they are visiting?

10:11 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Anne, are you going to do MRI scans for everyone when they are visiting?

10:12 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

I am not sure how I got it down, because I did not think I had done anything different than the last time. If all Anne's visitors get MRI's I will be jealous, all I ever get done is blood work!!

6:44 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'll see what I can arrange re:MRI scans for all the family!

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home