Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Great UK Trip: the prelude

Hi guys, saw some comments about trying to plan your UK trip, which is very exciting. I am so looking forward to seeing everyone!

In case this helps, here's what you have to work with on my end: I've got a double bedroom and a single bedroom, and if people need I could probably beg or borrow an airmattress or something and sleep in the attic, leaving both of those free. (Note: they have the most terrible possible mattresses, so be forewarned). I have a couch, too (now without fleas!) but it is more of a loveseat and only short people can sleep on it. If you'd rather stay somewhere else, there are quite a few guesthouses and things in Bangor, so if you let me know what kind of accomodation you'd like I can ask around and find something close/in the right price range. I could probably even go book rooms if you want. The area around Bangor's a beauty-spot, believe it or not, so might be busy around Easter and worth booking early.

Is anyone planning on getting a car here? Not sure about car rental in Bangor (though can find out if there's any interest) but you could get one for sure in Manchester. You can see a lot more with a car, and I think you're eligible to drive with Canadian licenses. Anglesey is gorgeous and full of beaches, and Snowdonia is, er, also gorgeous and full of mountains. Both are hard to get to on public transit (though I think it is within the realm of possibility).

I know some travel is planned besides Wales - where and when are you planning to go? I might tag along for part of it if that's okay. I have almost the entire time off for Easter holidays, so depending on labwork I can probably escape for a while.

Let me know what you're thinking of... I don't think detailed planning is necessary but I am quite curious!

7 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I am able to sleep fine in most locations...and Richard sleeps badly in most, so it won't make to much difference for us. But am not sure about Mom.
Mom wants to go to Cornwall and Mom, Richard, and I want to go to Ireland.
Other than that, I hadn't thought about too much else at this point.
Others?

1:11 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

We can also bring our sleeping mats for camping.
And we'd be thrilled if anyone else wants to come along with us to either Cornwall, Ireland, or both.
We are thinking that for going to Ireland and Cornwall, that public transit is best, and if were to rent a car would be while we are in Wales to get to more isolated things?
REsponse? This includes you too, Theresa and Geoff.
we think that given we gte into Manchester at 1030 pm, that we would spend night there and then take train to Bangor. We think there's a train that goes to Bangor from there.
Are we right Anne?

6:46 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I think a car rental would be good, but I also think Geoff would be the driver so he will have to approve. We arrive on March 15, the Saturday. If we had a car perhaps we could pick you guy up, but not sure, this is only my thinking.
Mom, Lisa and Richard, you are probably used to cat fleas.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Also, I know Geoff wants to visit the rellies, some Ferreys and some from the Strong side. I sure would like to see some of the ones who have visted here. We'll have 3 weeks. That's as far as we have got in our planning.

7:58 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

No, Thjeresa, we are not used to cat fleas! Anyway I can sleep on my love seat, so maybe I'll put dibs on yours, Anne. The places I'm interested in in Cornwall are villages off the beaten track sort of I think, so maybe a car for the day after we get there may be a thought. These are all of our ancestors, so it would be great if everyone wants to go. L says Anne is interested in Ireland - how about T & G?

9:55 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Getting picked up would be super duper, but it's also perfectly fine if we take transit.
I can hardly believe that we'll be going soon.
Sebastian had fleas when we 1st got him from SPCA, but we de-fleaed him in short order.
And now both cats are very uninhabited by parasites.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

My house is uninhabited by parasites too! Until the rellies show up. hee hee. Just kidding.

Yep, there's trains from Manchester airport. Follow the signs and ask the ticket guy which train you need to be on to get to Bangor. He should give you a slip of paper showing the connections you need to catch.

Cornwall and Ireland sound great. Have been particularly meaning to see Ireland properly. But I'm happy to go along with whatever crazy ideas you guys have planned.

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home