Monday, January 21, 2008

Trip and Work

Anne, Theresa and Geoff, what do you think of going Ireland and Cornwall?
I have decided to take a 1/2 time position at DDMH (community) and do 1/2 time in hospital.
They created a position for me so that I could do that, so guess I can't refuse at this point can I?
It's a good time to be a nurse...you certainly don't have to settle.
Why I remember... when I was happy to work casual in the group home and when getting job was hard.The labour situation has changed a lot.
Richard did well in all his classes. I'm proud of him! he's starting to put out some resumes.
He has also organized our whole house. He's unstoppable. Our closets have never looked so clean. And I thought I was more organized...actually I am much better at follow through, he is much better at the initial organization. As is usual for us, he has more vision, I am more practical.
I am liking my community job better now. It is nice to have more autonomy and I can sort of make my job the way I like it. Still, there are politics everywhere. But for the time being, I am feeling somewhat lucky that things are working out well for me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Big headlines in the paper hear that beds were being closed because not enough nurses to work. Richard do you think you come and visit me and get me organized? I could sure use it. Lisa, how will that word for time? will you have set days for community and just work your hospital shifts around that?

5:41 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I say yes to Ireland or Cornwall or both! You can get to either place on trains (or ferry + train in the case of Ireland).

It must be cool being so in demand. But my supervisor just offered to pay me hard £ (and quite a lot of them) for a paper I wrote - there is a company that wants to use it or something (not sure of details) and then we might be running some experiments for them. Nice to be paid for writing... I could get used to this!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

If Richard did a road trip he could swing by Rocky to do some organizing too.
Yes, Lisa, you could do anything you wanted anywhere you wanted as far as nursing goes. Here in Alberta it's all because of Ralph's cuts in the '90s. The budget got balanced but we are paying the cost now. Same thing with infrastructure. We are now paying for all the roads and bridges now at a much higher cost.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

And congrats Anne. You need the money and validation is always good.

7:48 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

that is great Anne - nice to earn lots doing something you like and the money is esp useful to a student. I think the trip is sort of shaping - now we can polish it up when we get to Wales.
Won't say I told you so to Albertans - being debt free will have to keep you all happy, buut will playing catchup plunge AB back in debt?

7:57 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

That is very exciting about your paper, Anne! What company? And what was it on?

A good point about paying for it now -- in boom times, everyone has more money, but costs also go up because everyone feels confident about charging lots. Maybe if the roads get really bad we will stop driving. Maybe the Conservatives are secretly ENVIRONMENTALISTS.

I still haven't seen Jude's floors but would like to. Jude, post a picture! And it's your turn in scrabulous.

Mom, we should get you playing scrabulous.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

It's an advertising co. in London. They want us to do some experiments for them to see if people actually notice billboards (so will put up two different sets of billboards coming out of Tube stations on different routes, then test people who walk route A and route B to see how much they can recall - using fancy psychological methods, of course). The paper I wrote was a literature review of what's been done in the area of out-of-home advertising up till this point. My supervisor's planning to charge them big for this and share the profits, since I did most of the writing.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Allison, we might drive less, but it's a long walk from Rocky to Edmonton. It's that or a 4-hour bus trip.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home