Friday, January 11, 2008

Back to school

As you may have guessed, I'm back in the crumbling 60s housing project that I call home (for 8 months of the year, anyway). My Chinese roommate Li stayed for the whole holiday because his parents weren't willing to fly him home... so he pretty much had the floor to himself, instead of the 45 people or so who usually live there. Over the break, he bought a massive bar fridge which sits in the only space available in our 11x11... between our desks. This means it's a little hard to get out of and into my desk chair, but we do have fridge!
His family sent a huge package from home, which was mostly traditional holiday candy and food from China. It was a nice gesture but as it turns out, it had to go in the only space available... yep, on TOP of the fridge.
Despite this, I'm seriously considering a double room for next year again. It'd be nice to have your own space and stuff, but really, I think sharing the room isn't that big of a deal, and it's a lot cheaper ($1300 difference). But I haven't decided yet, and I've still got about 2 months to do so and be guaranteed my preference.
Not too much exciting with my courses... more advanced German, more Relgious Studies, and more English. However, instead of STAT and math, I have 2 Economics courses. Hopefully those will be interesting (and hopefully easy); it's difficult to say so far. One Econ instructor is from India, and I thought she would be a bit of a chump at first, but she seems all right.
Christmas was great, but it really sucks to be starting over again: it feels like the end will never come already. It was nice to see a lot of people from my high-school class. We usually get together a few times a year and have supper or something, which I think is really cool, and it's always fun. I don't know if it's usual for such a diverse group to still get together so long after grad.

8 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

How are all of you different?

9:40 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Do you get to share Li's fridge?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Sam F said...

We're not really totally different, but just we are spread all over the map, going to different colleges/trade schools/universities, studying different things, or working various jobs. Some live in Rocky, some don't; some are getting married now; some are on sports scholarships or work the rigs at the other side of the country. Some people were really good friends in high school, some I just hung out with. Lots of different personalities and stuff.

And yes, I do get to use the fridge. I have like two things in it though, but it's there.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

2 bottles of whiskey?

11:25 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I never saw anyone from Rocky except the Irmens after grad. I kept in sporadic touch with a few of them, but we didn't get together as a group very often at all (if ever). Apparently there's a reunion coming up, though...

8:43 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I actually stayed good friends with most of my high school associates for about 10 years after -- and actually, have reconnected with some via career (one works in libraries) and a few others via FB.

10:46 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

I connected with 2 old hs friends this fall (at Thelma's funeral - this is after 60 years

tsk, tsk. Tim - beer maybe, but whiskey?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I'm with Grandma. Whiskey hardly belongs in the fridge! I'm still friends with a few people from high school, but they are mostly the people I went to the Christian school with as well.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home