Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Would You Like Fries With That Data?

It has indeed been ages since I posted to the blog...but I feel quite confident that having been the "ideas man" for the blog counts for something. But my biggest news right now is that I've taken on a part-time job, working at Statistics Canada, to get a financial handle on myself & get rid of some debt / get ready for NF trip and a trip to Jasper. No, I am not an economist or a mathematical statistician or even a sociologist: I am doing telephone interviews.

The application process was a bit bizarre: we all got called in to the lobby of the StatCan building, and brought upstairs en masse (about 20 of us?) to write a "test" that was kind of like grade 10 math. You could tell the woman administering the test was nice, but also used to "high turnover" employees and so anytime someone asked a question about work conditions, she sounded really harsh ("NO, we DON'T start shifts at 5pm. Someone said you could do this? Well, that's a special arrangement. You can make a special arrangement. But we DON'T start shifts at 5pm."). Trying to sort the "wheat" from the chaff, I guess.

We need to be at desk, logged in, ready to work, at EXACTLY shift start time. I imagine coffee / meal break is just as strictly regulated. This will be a very interesting reminder to me of how good my current job is, contract or not.

It's going to be a bit punishing: 24 hours a week (2 weekend days, 2 weeknight evenings) but I have committed to a 3-month period, after which I immediately go to Jasper for the provincial library conference (think expensive summer camp at the Jasper Park Lodge, with alcohol) for a rest --I mean, some professional development.

11 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

oh man, will you survive three months?! (Remembering working the double shift at Value Village... which sucked). However, $$ is always good. Are you trying to rival Will in number of jobs held at once?

9:05 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I think I can do it. Although I do seem to spend a lot of time on my bed, staring off into space, I have juggled these kinds of schedules before. And seem to get things done more consistently when I am busy.

In preparation, I've ironed all my shirts, cleaned my apt, vacuumed, and filed all my papers, so I can feel I am coming home to a home, not a landfill. I think it will help!

But if it is too much, you can always buy me a sympathy beer.

9:09 AM  
Blogger GEOFF said...

Speaking of beer--I tried the first bottle of my home brew today. I invited Tim over for a sample, and he had one and carried off a six pack.
It must have met with his approval.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

How can you drink beer without labels!? It could be anything...like furniture polish! or poison! or iced tea!

I hope to send labels sometime soon.

Hey, would it be possible to have a brewing visit this summer? I come stay and we make beer?

7:46 AM  
Blogger GEOFF said...

I told Geoff that we should save a few bottles for the houseboat trip.
This thing won't seem to let me log on so I am using Geoff's log-on.
Theresa

9:13 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Mom, I sent you another invitation. Try accepting it and see if your login woes cease.

1:38 PM  
Blogger GEOFF said...

Al- I think I will be into the city on Monday night for a meeting Tuesday. Are you working Monday Night ? I could drop off a sample. Or you could walk up to the Westin and get it there.
Invitation open to one and all- just let me know how many to bring (within reason of course)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Wow! Monday night I'm going to see Emmylou Harris at 8pm -- but will be done about 10pm, so could certainly hop LRT to the Westin & pick up the first batch of brew & have a visit at 10:30?

What time will you be in the city? If after 10 is too late, we could meet around 7?

awesome!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I want beer too! But I have pottery before EmmyLou, so I don't know how that would work.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Can you make a trip out here to bring me a sample? I feel it's only fair, since I helped make it. Glad the specific gravity trouble solved itself. Tim told me last night he was pretty impressed with it.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

well, I will say that I now have pre-show drink plans, it would be better to meet up after the show. Geoff, is that okay? Anne can come with also, then.

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home