Saturday, January 02, 2016

R&L 2015

it seems we had busy year!
Mom's birthday was a good time-and snowy! I felt fortunate that we didn't have to travel, as those who made trip from afar had trials and tribulations with the travel part of it. It was so nice to have so many family members here.
Applied for and got new position as ACT team lead-I am still liking this job a lot. It is something to be able to help develop a team from scratch, brand new program and all. We are on track for what we needed to do, I guess it will be keeping all this up which will be the challenge as we continue. We've been trying hard to keep it as a collaborative team, 'co-created' as feminist academics would like to say. Doing things from top down is easier, at least in terms of getting stuff done quicker, but in long run not as good. It is a good team, and the work is great. I am glad I am out of hospital, and in community. I had opportunity to go back there at end of year, and then declined, which was good move on my part, I think.
Richard and I had a few smaller trips this year, but didn't do anything big together, other than our trip to Ontario, which, given that we go each year, does not seem like a big trip. Though we did stay at an inn at Niagara on the Lake to mix it up a bit.
the cruise in august was a great thing to do considering that Mom was still recovering from her surgeries. She is very resilient to have recovered so well from 2 major surgeries, and Richard and I were so thankful for both her recovery, but also everyone's help in coming here and helping all of us. It would have been so much harder for all of us without you. Including Jude being there when Mom's incision opened! I hate to think what would have happened if she hadn't been there.  In retrospect it feels like the whole summer was a blur of surgery and people here! Having the cruise in August was a good, relaxing way to end a bit of a stressful summer!
The year also seemed to be a blur of thesis stuff-I kept hoping I would graduate earlier, 1st Nov, then Feb, now May. I still maintain that I AM NEVER DOING THIS AGAIN.Process has been interesting and worthwhile, i am sure, but the academic life is not for me. Too much navel gazing as Mom would say, and too much focus on theory, rather than what do you actually do when confronted with life and work? However, i am sure once done, I will feel a great sense of achievement.Or something. I just want to have free time that is free.
Speaking of which, I am still sitting on the 2 boards-which I don't mind doing, though they have their own exasperations.
Richard is still on board for resident's association too. Which he occasionally gets fed up with too.
His work-not much change-still chugging along. He really is much happier doing that than being at his previous job.
Poor little black cat Nick died this year, though I worry that we didn't euthanize him early enough-but he did manage to get a few more good months than I had thought when we first realized that he was unwell. I think he lived longer than we thought he would, eating proscuitto and chicken breast. I know this sounds all cat lady of me, but I still miss him. Sebastian does not seem like a 15 year old cat, other than his late night yowling-it can be heard outside with everything closed, as I discovered when we were in drive way hearing him.
this year, I want to get this stupid thesis done, graduate, and have time to look at flyers, go camping, garden, and do more exercise. All things that have been hard for me to do while working and doing school.
It has been a good year though, and I am really thankful for all that we have and do. Working with people who have so little has really made me appreciate my life and my happiness.


3 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

You are almost done with your thesis, you can do it!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I must keep goal in mind

10:35 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I forgot to me tion trip to Grande Prairie and Chicago!

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home