Friday, January 01, 2016

Goodbye 2015

Looking back on this year really brings home how much can change in 12 months. I started the year off retired but am working again. Auntie Barb is gone and so is John - we had no reason at the beginning of the year to think that we would be seeing them for the last time. We also lost our friends Rilla and Lou who were part of our lives from way back when we moved to Rocky.
We always said that when we retired we wanted to travel but I am not sure how much I really meant it. I feel more of a stay-at-home person. But we certainly did get around in 2015, starting on Jan. 1 with our trip to Kelowna for Mom's surprise birthday. It was fun surprising her and due to the weather we got extra visiting time with you all and Fred. It was the first time since retiring that I realized that we had no schedule and could do whatever we wanted.
In February we went up to Yellowknife for Barb's funeral, a sad time, but as is often the case with funerals a chance to visit with people you don't see much. We were especially glad to be rooming with John and Heather and had such a good time together. The people in Yellowknife were gracious hosts, making sure we were comfortable even in the midst of so much funeral planning and their sadness.
Then our big Europe trip. Basically planned by Geoff. I would never have predicted even at the beginning of the year that we would take off for six weeks. It was a good time and confirmed that we are still compatible. Great to see so much of Anne and Del. And grand monuments and art, plus volcanic islands, geysers, warm beaches and all kinds of public transportation.
Back to BC in June to hang out with Mom before and after her surgery. In the end it was ok but the hiccups on the way to recovery were not much fun for her. We were glad to be able to take a couple of days to get over to see John, Dick and Jo, and Will. I just felt so bad for John going through what he had to - he had cancer, there was nothing that could be done about it, just have to wait to die.
Then back to Kelowna for Jude and I. I was glad to be able to just go without a second thought. Mom, so glad to hear that you are feeling so much better, it must have felt like a very long year for you.
And the cruise! I really enjoyed it and the things we did. Good idea, Mom. Got to see everybody and finally meet Sandi. I was happy that Anne and Del were there too and that we had such a good visit with Will afterward. And finally got to meet Allie too.
In between all that I loved being at home with no commitments. The weather was so beautiful all summer and fall that I was in the yard almost to my heart's content. And we got to see lots of the grandsons. It's amazing to watch them change and grow.
I am so happy that the kids are all doing well. Changes for lots of them too, with Anne and Del's house purchase and Tim and Courtney's move as well as Sam's. We miss seeing Will and Anne but this year we got a couple of long visits with each of them.
Looking back has made me realize that there is no seeing the future. We are not much for long-range planning anyway. I wonder what 2016 will bring.
I know one thing - a warm vacation in Mazatlan at the end of the month! Two weeks in the sun. We discovered last night that we will be at the same resort that Tim stayed when he went there, he says it is nice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura Long said...

Happy New Year, pretty busy year. Have a great holiday.

7:35 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Also, looking back at the blog over the past year, I appreciate you posting about your trips! I like hearing what other people see, do and think while travelling!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I forgot I will be house sitting here too, while you relax in Mexico.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I mentioned lots of funerals but forgot the one wedding - Matthew's. It was a good one.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home