Sunday, July 10, 2011

Staycation is Over

It's Sunday so back to work tomorrow, I have had a nice relaxing time, and I am kind of feeling like I should not have canceled my second week, but only 3 days next week so I am sure I can make it. Besides, this means I can join T&G on the road trip, so something more to look forward to.

For most of the days the weather was great, it has rained the last couple, but what can you do? While I was off, I did a few things. I went downtown on Monday to the Art gallery, but it is closed Mondays. Instead I went over to Churchill Square, bought a cider, and listened to some live music courtesy of the Edmonton Jazz Festival. Then I took in some of the Works. On Tuesday I went back to the gallery and enjoyed the exhibits. They have an Andy Warhol show on right now. Really interesting, not just pictures, but some video, and television shows as well. I was walking along looking at the pics, and found one that looked just like Baba, weird. It was actually a picture of his Mother. I wonder if we are related? I also met some friends for lunch and supper. Good to catch up.

Friday I decided to try and find the record store in Old Strathcona, bought a couple of CD's. Right next door is a knitting store called Urban Knitters, all you knitters out there will have to visit it. Lots of cool patterns and fibers. I also stopped by Gravity Pope, they are having their 21 anniversary sale, and walked out without a purchase.

This weekend I have not done much of anything, which still feels pretty good. I think today I will clean up the place, do laundry etc.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I think he was Czeck or Slovak. I it was one of them.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Ruthenian! Far east of Slovakia.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Wikipedia says Slovakia. But they could be wrong.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I went to his mom's birthplace -- I forget what it was called? They have a museum / gallery there for him with a theatre. It was playing Spice World.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I think they were 'ethnically' Ruthenians -- like how there are Hungarians that live in Slovakia -- so Slovak Hungarians.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Can't argue with someone who went to the birthplace.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Here is excerpt from biography about Andy's mother.

She was born, Julia Zavacky in Mikova, Czechoslovakia on November 17,1892. She married Ondreij Warhola in 1909 and immigrated to the United States in 1921. The Zavackys like the Warholas were of Carpatho-Rusyn decent.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I want to know what hyphenated descent we are.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Laura Long said...

The wool store looks great might have to visit next time I am there. The 23rd is still a go I hope.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home