Sunday, March 07, 2010

Clinicals and Oil Kings

Scott's been nagging me to put up a post, so here we go.
I finished my first clinical just before reading week. It was longterm care, and I really enjoyed it. At first I wasn't so sure, just because I wasn't really sure what to do. Mostly, I just felt the same way I feel at the beginning of any new job. By the end I was sad to leave though. I really liked getting to know all the residents. My instructor was awesome. She has been that the facility we were at for a few years and they just love her there. She obviously loves nursing and teaching, so she was really approachable and easy to ask her questions. The rest of my group was a lot of fun too. I'm going to miss wearing scrubs.

I started my second clinical last week. It is community health, and I have heard some bad things about it. We go to a school and be a study buddy once a week. I thought that would be really easy and boring, but it turns out I am placed in a grade 1/2 split class of kids with behavioural and cognitive impairment, so they are a bit of a handful. We have to do a teaching plan involving health promotion while we're there, so I think I will do handwashing. Then another day a week we are activity directors at a seniors' lodge. I am really looking forward to this. A person can never play enough shuffle board I don't think. We have to do some home visits with people at the lodge as well. We also get to go to the Mustard Seed and serve supper one night, and get a tour of the surrounding area on another day, so I'm looking forward to that too.

Last night I went to an Oil Kings game with a few friends.Auntie Jude gave me some vouchers for regular season games, and we were running out of games, so we decided we better use them. Turns out it was fan appreciation day, so there were a lot more people there than usual, and lots more prizes handed out. Try as I might, I didn't win anything though. Whenever they were throwing things to the crowd I stood up and jumped and screamed. The one guy looked me right in the eye and I thought he would throw me a puck, and then he threw it right over my head. I was not impressed. I guess when you're older than most of the team you stop getting prizes. The highlight of the game was being on the jumbotron! Everyone beside and in front of us left, so we were an island, and then we were on the screen. It was really exciting and I waved like crazy, and my friends looked mortified. I think Oil King games are a lot more chill than Oilers games, so they are a lot of fun. It's all really family oriented, which I appreciated. They should show more Disney clips at Oilers games, if you ask me.

Reading week was really nice. Jovita pretty much lived at our place, so that was great. We watched a lot of Olympics and BBC versions of Jane Austen books. It was very relaxing, and I didn't want to come back.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Scott said...

About time. haha

I'm still really sad that I missed reading break. I mean, seeing everyone would've been nice, but missing Emma and Persuasion killed me!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'll have to get you teach me shuffleboard before I go to the lodge.

12:09 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Don't forget your grandmother will get into a lodge before your mother, so will need instruction first.
I see your and Judes team has finally won some games - maybe they will move out of dead last at last
Good that you're enjoying your clinicals so much acing them I have no doubt

9:37 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Bingo is also popular.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

You can teach us all shuffleboard on the houseboat.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home