Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sivak's, hockey

I was in the bank yesterday and the teller asked me about my middle name. Sivak, she was from the Ukraine had been in Canada for 3 years and really likes it here. She said the name was very familiar in the Ukraine and Slovakia. She kept her maiden name when she got married, apparently in the old country you only get 1 name. Some times you get your father name i.e. I would be Laura Joseph Sivak to indicate I am related to Joseph. Kind of neat discussion. I watched the hockey game and enjoyed it. I have watched a lot of the olympics this week, even curling, with the hammer and the brick ( they are curling terms for you uninitiated). I am looking forward to Edmonton in 3 weeks and Montreal in 4.

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I love watching curling. There is so much strategy. I wish I knew more about it. Must be getting ever closer to old-cootdom.
I think I remember Allison saying that people in Poland named Sivak are Jewish.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Actually, there are lots of Sivaks in Poland (almost like the name "Johnson" there) and in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz, there is a character named Sivak. That's where I got the Jewish bit. Also that letter that came to Dad once: Dear Joe Sivak, You may have lost relatives in the Holocaust. If so, you are eligible for reparations.

3:44 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Plus, read that is common Gypsy name. Which makes sense since there are also some Indian names like Sivakasi, Sivakumar, etc.
Jewish Gypsies-loud and proud.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conor Sivak is a left shot forward with the Midwest Maniax NIHL 2012-2013 hockey season. His great-grandfather was Josef Sivak from Kudlovce, SL. Josef immigrated to Chicago, USA in 1920's. Conor has played in the NWHL and SWSL. Conor is a Slovakian-American.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home