Thursday, February 18, 2010

John Wort Hannam


I'm starting to feel like this blog is turning into Will's Awesome Olympic Adventures Blog! There has just been so much cool stuff happening around here. The Olympics are a pain in a lot of ways, but they've been good enough to me that I think they can come back again sometime.

Anyway, the latest tale of awesomeness has to do with John Wort Hannam, who is a folk singer from Alberta. He's been at Folk Fest a few times, and I borrowed his CDs from Mom last summer when I was looking for any music to get me through the driving from Rocky to Vancouver to Barkerville. Turns out, I really like his music. I found out that he was going to be in town last night, and managed to get tickets.

It was part of a four part show of Canadian singer-songwriters. The others were the Gordie Tentrees band (from the Yukon), Christina Martin (from New Brunswick, who was hilarious. She talked a lot in between songs about random stuff- she introduced one song by saying "so, in New Brunswick, if you need to make a living, you rob a bank". Then she sang a song about her father, who apparently robbed a bank) and Jimmy Rankin to round out the evening. Everyone was really good, but John Wort Hannam was the best.

He played right before the intermission, and I was walking out with my two friends Shantel and Chelsea, who are both from southern Alberta. They were talking about how it is surprising that they don't know of him, since he is from Fort McLeod. Just then we hear a voice behind us "hey, don't talk about me, I'm right here!" Sure enough, JWH was standing right behind us. Shantel told him that I was singing along to every song, and he said that he should have had me on stage. I assured him that was a terrible idea. Anyway, he was really nice and down to earth, and I managed to talk him into this picture.

What will the Olympics bring me next? Who knows! I can't wait to find out though.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I am totally jealous.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Two good-lookin guys.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home