Monday, February 15, 2010

Olympics



Well, I went to the Canada Slovakia game expecting a pretty uneven score, but I was surprised at the result. The play was not even close- Canada is much better, probably in part because they have a very established program for female hockey players. Anyway, in anticipation of the blowout, I bought a Slovakia shirt to wear over my Canada shirt (topped by the yellow scarf of course!).

Today I went downtown to volunteer at the Cathedral, and then spent the afternoon looking for free or interesting things to do. Turns out, in an Olympic city, there is a lot to see! We stopped by the Slovak Representitive House, but it cost sixty three bucks to get in, so we didn't do that. They had a tourism person standing outside, so I had my picture with her, and she gave me tons of info on Slovakia, including four DVDs about how awesome it is. It pretty much convinced me to go back!

We also stopped by Russia house, which was ok. They had a hockey hall of fame with all the old Red Army sweaters, and skates and sticks from famous Russians. They also had Russian clowns. Those were a little freaky.

To wind up the day, we walked over and found the outdoor cauldron. It was a good day, but huge crowds (even though today was Monday, I can't imagine it on the weekend).

5 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

I was watching the speed skating on the weekend, and they showed Donald Sutherland in the stands, so watch out for him, while you are wandering around. I also heard about Wayne Gretzky sightings too.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You might run into Stephen Colbert too.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

and Michael J Fox

3:53 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Dashing!

4:41 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

trust the Slovaks to try to make their booth into a business - but really that is pretty steep even for them! I find myself obsessed by the games but not tempted to be there - HD is almost like being there sans crowds. When is Tim going or has he changed plans with being back to work - rah for him!
the double shirts look great

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home