Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hockey

Well, the craziness has pretty much hit the city. The Olympic torch apparently was on campus this afternoon, but I was in class, so let it pass me by. I was downtown last night, but it was on the east side, well away from the Olympics, so I didn't see all the massive security measures. I'm going down on Monday to volunteer at the Cathedral (they are keeping the doors open 12 hours a day, so they needed lots of hosts!) I think I'll spend a bit more time when my shift is finished, check out the Alberta Pavilion and Slovakia House (maybe they'll have cabbage rolls?) The really big news is that I have tickets to a hockey game this Saturday - Canadian Women vs. Slovakia Women! I'm not really sure who to cheer for (well, I mean, I'll cheer for Canada so I don't get beat up, but I'll cheer for Slovakia quietly as well).



Of course, not everyone here is super happy about the Olympics. Check out this video. It's a about the "Share the Gold" campaign. It's not quite a protest, more of an awareness thing. They are asking people to wear yellow or gold as a reminder that if we can raise 6.9 billion for the games, surely we should be able to raise enough to end homelessness. The place where this video was filmed is the church that's become a shelter where I have a class every week. Ric, who you see in the video, is a minister who runs the place and is one of the instructors.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Have a great time at the game.

That is a really great video, do you have a gold scarf?

6:21 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I do! They were handing them out at First United. I'm going to wear it to the hockey game.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

I watched the opening ceremonies with my floor and cheered for Slovakia, and some people didn't even know it was a country.

8:34 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

how'd you like the game? - a bit lopsided eh? you could have cheered aloud for the slovak ladies without getting beat up I think

7:39 AM  
Blogger Will said...

In the end, I did! I even bought a Slovak t-shirt to wear over my Canada shirt. I clapped for the Canadian goals (although I was markedly less enthusiastic after the first twelve or so) but I cheered on Slovakia. There seemed to be quite a few pockets of Slovak supporters in the stadium as well.

8:15 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I'm glad you cheered for Slovakia-we all did at Mom's.
Nice community development video. I like how they are joining together in a positive way-reaching out-rather than just angrily protesting-though there is a time and place for that-really I think you get farther reaching out and building bridges.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Hey Will - I loved the video you posted about the Share the Gold campaign. Isaac and I are going to Vancouver on Friday...any idea where we could get the scarves?

Sivak fan: Kirsten

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home