Sunday, May 03, 2009

Home for the summer

Well, I arrived home for the summer last Sunday, and I still can't get over how much free time I have now!

Before I left for the summer, I had a phone interview with the Confluence Heritage Society, which is a non-profit that does a lot of work with the historic site near Rocky. Although I used to train people to take interviews, I didn't think this particular one went very well. I rely heavily on reading people in my interviews, and it's hard to know what they are thinking over a phone line. But like an hour later, they rang me up to offer me the supervisor job out there.

I went in for a couple days last week, and they seemed really disorganized. I'm showing them how to use and program their new till - it seems natural to me to use the till to track inventory and cashiers, but they had never heard of such things before. Turns out it sounds like they want me to do schedules, inventory, stock ordering, training, etc. However pretty much the whole staff turned over last year and nobody left any notes, so in addition to doing this stuff, I have to figure HOW to do this stuff. Should be interesting.

I applied for the co-op program at the U of A (for accounting). We'll see what happens there. I changed my minor to operations management, which is stuff like supply chain management, congestion management, aggregate planning, demand forecasting, etc. It's really cool, I think, but most people hate it. Got all my marks back, and I did better than last year, which is always nice as they'll be going down from here on in I should say. (Accounting curves on a B- for senior courses, while everybody else curves on a B+... fantastic).

I got offered an RA job next year, but turned it down (which, in hindsight, was a bad decision) so instead I'm the Food Ombudsman again next year.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

Congrats on your marks - they were great last yr so beating that took a little doing.
Your summer sounds very interesting - as well as being able to crack the whip over the others, it fits in with your skills. Have a good one

5:24 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Good luck with your job Sam, the kind of experience that you are getting sounds like it will be very much in line with your major, and getting the practical experience is always a bonus. I am glad to hear that you are looking at the co-op, more practical experience, employers are always looking for that.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Why didn't you take the RA job?

5:30 AM  
Blogger Sam F said...

I had already accepted Foods... but I could have gone back on it without too much trouble. My boss is very forgiving.

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home