Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Left Lisbon, Landed in London

I have made it safely to London, and met up with Anne.

I really enjoyed my stay in Lisbon, it is a mix of old and new. The area where I stayed was quite modern, lots of high rises and freeways. The public transportation there is really good. But once you moved into the center of the city, except for the cars and the way people were dressed you could have been plopped down in some other century. The streets are very narrow and windy, with cobblestones. I walked up to the Castle of St Jorge, which is on the highest hill in the Alfama district. According to the brochure, the reason the streets are so windy is to throw off any invaders, who would get confused and go home cause they could not find the right road to go to the castle. The views were spectacular. the only downside, was a group of german school kids, brought back memories from 30 years ago, about how rude they were.

this is just a quick post, have to go and get dressed and head out to the National Portrait gallery. Will post soon, maybe with pictures.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Luxury hotel?

7:48 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

How nice that the British put your protrait in their gallery

9:58 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Well it was a Hilton, so pretty nice. I was feeling a little like I was bragging too much about places I have stayed so did not want to say.

You know the British, always wanting to make people feel welcome and included.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home