Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I don’t want to leave my Room

Not because I an afraid but because it is so nice. I am at the hotel in Porto, and I cannot believe it, because I am a Platinum member of SPG, I was upgraded to a suite!! So the hotel is costing me nothing for two of the nights and the other 3 I think 60 dollars a night, and I have the best room. Thank you IBM, if you had not sent me to TO, none of this would be possible.

Anyway going back to the beginning of the trip. The flight was originally to be a direct non stop to London; however, because there was something mechanically wrong with the plane, the part had to be flown in from TO. Then because the crew can only work so many hours, in a day, we had to fly to TO, and change crew there, then on to London. The flight left Edmonton at 12:40, so it would not arrive at TO until after 6:00am (planes are not supposed to land between certain hours). We waited until 8:00got a new crew and back in the air. The original pilots were also on the second flight as passengers, I guess so they could return with their scheduled flight from London, but the flight attendants were not. I have to say, first class when flying a long distance is the way to go. The seats were PODs,which you could turn into a little bed, after take off http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/cabincomfort.html . And the service was fantastic, they served supper after we left Edmonton however I was too bagged to partake, and I just had a little nap, until we reached TO. Once we were airborne again, there was breakfast, starting with mimosa’s. then another nap, and I watched some videos on my laptop. Dinner again, and then landing in London. Because of being in first class, I got to bypass the regular lineup for customs and immigration to the fast track line, picked up my luggage and re-booked the flight to Portugal for the next day. When the immigration lady heard I was going to Portugal, she told me not to miss Lisbon, lots to see and do there.

The hotel was about a 10 minute drive from the airport, using one of the shuttle buses (or Airport Hoppa). I had a lovely room there, king-size bed, but a bit of a funny view, when I looked down out the window, it looked like a trailer park, but it was on the hotel grounds, when I went for a walk the next day, the building beside the hotel, looked like a prison, or something, small, small windows and surrounding by a fence with barbed wire at the top, I was afraid to ask what it really was. The other great thing about having status with the hotel, means that I have access to the club lounge which serves breakfast in the morning, at no extra cost. I had beans and bacon, the traditional English Breakfast (Theresa, remember how good that tasted when we were at the hostel in London?), fruit and juice and coffee. I was able to get a late check out since my flight did not leave until 7:00 pm, so that was great, no hanging around the airport for hours, and I got to have an afternoon nap.

The flight took about two hours, and was pretty uneventful. We had a hot sandwich, tasted like salmon, not sure if it was a traditional Portuguese snack, or not. Arriving in Porto, the customs and immigration seemed to be pretty lax, compared to what we go through, no questions, just read my passport, and wave me on. I bought a guide book at the airport, on Portugal, since I left my other book at home, and so I had an idea of how long it would take and how much it would cost to go from the airport to the hotel. I was happy it was about 10 pm and the road was not that crowded, because I could see that the drivers here lived up their billing. Reminded me a bit of the drivers in Costa Rica, but the roads seem better here.

The hotel is all glass and chrome, very modern looking, the elevators are completely glass, and not so good it you don’t like heights. My suite has dark hardwood floors, a living area, with a couch and a couple of chairs, a table and chairs, a little stereo system to plug my iPod into . The bathroom has a separate shower , another room with the toilet and bidet, and then a huge tub. It looks like one of the after pictures of a renovation, I am sure Colin and Justin would approve. The bedroom, has a kingsize bed and a big dresser, flat screen TV. A little bottle of port was left in my room as a welcome gift from hotel, have not had any yet.

I slept in today, and decided I was going to take it easy, had lunch in the hotel restaurant, what the waiter told me was a typical Portuguese meal. The menu called it clam rice, which was rice with clams in a sauce and vegetables, almost like a stew, and some pieces of fish on the side. The fish was so good, very light. If all the food here is as tasty as that I will not go hungry.

I am in the lounge right now, just having a coffee, while I write this, it is on the top floor of the hotel and has an ocean view. Tomorrow I will go out and see some of the sights, and book the train down to the Algarve. What difference it is traveling to Europe this time around in comparison to 30 years ago. I do wish that some one had come with me, it would be lovely to share the luxury. Think I will go back to my room, have some port, read my book, maybe watch some TV. Life is good!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Wow. How did you find that place?
Geoff and I have beans on toast once in a while for lunch. Talk about comfort food.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Beans are good student food I'm finding out. I usually make biscuits to go with them, since bacon is expensive!

4:27 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I wish I was there to help you with your luxury too!
It sounds delightful.
I cannot imagine travelling in such luxury...amazing.

6:43 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Wow Jude - beans on toast don't seem to fit in there, comfort food or no - you should be having caviar or pate de fois gras or something. You earned a great holiday and sounds like you've achieved it

7:15 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Don't worry, I'll help share all that luxury once you get to London! I booked my train - gets in at 5.30 on Oct 7. I guess you can just call me and we can make plans once you're in the UK?

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home