Thursday, September 25, 2008

Redundancy-proof!

So I don't know about Canada (probably not Alberta!) but the "credit crunch" is big news here. Here is what the Guardian had to say:

"Traditional redundancy-proof jobs include undertakers, Church of England vicars, tenured academic staff and most in the health service."

So that's Will, Lisa, and I sorted... what are the rest of you gonna do?! I reckon "undertaker" is the way to go...

I have booked my train ticket down to see Judith in London and share in some of that glorious luxury. My supervisor said she "thought" it would okay for me to go, which was good enough for me! With any luck I should have my thesis handed in by then and the stress will be somewhat off. Filled out all the forms today - I'm officially a university employee starting Oct 1. I'm supposed to have my thesis hand-in date extended till Oct 15 because I've been working too many hours (like 40-50 per week) as an RA for my supervisor, but no one will confirm whether I've been granted the extension or not. Rather stressful. I assume they WILL grant it, hope I'm not wrong or I'm in big trouble on Sept 30!

There's a departmental ceilidh tomorrow. I am not sure I'm invited, but I'm crashing anyway. I love ceilidhs.

Have two housemates at the moment (never thought it was possible in a house this size, but apparently it is!) One is the Kiwi, who is an official housemate, and the other is an Aussie girl called Claire. She's a PhD student who is doing a three-month stint in the lab, and I was going to let her move in as we would both only be here till December. However, the Kiwi pleaded with me to let him stay, and I agreed as I knew him and had never met Claire. But then Claire turned out to be awesome, and was having an impossible time finding a place... so we all ended up living here. Claire thinks she's found somewhere else starting halfway through October, but to be honest it's been great having her. We all take turns cooking for each other so there is always food on the table but you only have to cook every third day... all very happy families! I can't believe it is working out so well but am counting my blessings. And the best part? I still get the big double room to myself! The Kiwi's happy to take the small room and poor Claire is haunting the attic.

So as long as my extension comes through, it is all good...

4 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

You fit quite a few people in your place when we were there.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

That's true... it's bigger than it looks (like the Tardis, as they would say here...)

4:53 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Anne, I am very happy you will be joining me in London, esp when I read about the number of peopole in your place. I cannot promise the same level of luxury that I am enjoying in Porto, however, I know it is a nice area of London, at least it was 30 years ago. Sadly when I booked, IBM did not have a rate at any Sheraton in London, so my platinum status there does not help. However, we will have access to the lounge and a breakfast, maybe even beans on toast, if we are really lucky.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Librarians are tenured academic staff too! and pharmacy is health care. and they probably always need economists to tell us who's going to suffer in the next several years and who will prosper.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home