Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On the whole, I'd rather be houseboating

Yes, I am still dreaming of the long lovely days on the Minto Ellen, even though I've been home over a week. Things hadn't slowed down at work at all in my absence. I came back to the news that one of our Wardens (the people responsible for the buisness of the church) was in a horrific motercycle accident in Seattle. He's older, probably 70, and drives a huge motercycle all over the place. He was on the I5, and a truck who he thought was turning decided not to, and hit him, dragged him along for a while, and ran over him. His family was following behind- I think the son saw it happen. He survived, but is in intensive care in Seattle- under heavy sedation. I also found out that another parishioner has terminal cancer.

The happy side of getting back was that my desk was full of presents! I got a couple cards from people I had helped, and a bottle of wine from a very demanding couple whose wedding leaflet I typed. The nicest of all though, was that I got a home communion kit! It's from our priest who died recently- her husband thought I should have it. I was really touched. It's made out of an old cigar box, with a beautiful chalice and glass wine container inside, and a sterling silver bread box. I can't use it for three years, of course, but it is very nice to have.

5 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Home communion kit? Maybe once you are pastoring, the last thing you'll want to think about when you get home is communion.

Kidding. That is a thoughtful present.

How come you got to drive a porsche today?

1:31 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

Yeah, talk about bringing your work home with you.

5:34 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Your parish certainly has had its' fill of death lately.
You can bring along communion kit when we go camping/cabining, just in case there's an emergency spiritual crisis.
I'll bring along a safety kit.
And a needle should things get really out of hand and someone needs an injection.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Instead of all the hassle of running a church, why don't you be a personal priest, like a personal trainer. Make housecalls with your kit.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

You could also charge probably $150 / hour if you were a personal priest...

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home