Saturday, July 12, 2008

you have learned well, grasshopper

It is also going to be sunny for my days off, of which I have only two.
We were very glad we went to Uncle Bill's funeral. It was nice, I hate to think that I am getting to be a connoisseur of funerals, but there you are. I guess the Robins are getting practiced at planning them. The ppt was v good, I would love to get a copy of some of those old pictures. I was disturbed to discover that I was looking carefully at each one to see if I was in them. They had a bagpiper bringing the family in, then he piped us over to the crematory place.
I sat with Sue at the lunch and we had a good visit. I don't think I have ever really talked to her before, I quite enjoyed it. It was good to see Uncles Neil, Fred and Stan also. And the aunts. All kinds of people came over to talk to Mom, people she had been to high school with. We didn't go over to Patty's after, just came home. All the way home I kept thinking of how dirty my house is so when we arrived Geoff made supper and I dusted and scraped away some the most disgusting surfaces. Felt much better by bedtime.
And now finally the sun is shining and I am out in the yard at last. I'm pretty sure there are some vegetables under all those weeds, am going to find out soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

If a funeral can be said to be nice that one was - Brenda said Cal and Bob did all the planning. The pipes always break me up - esp when they play Amazing Grace.

Will asked me to post the following - Fred used some of it in his eulogy, but this is my bit for Bill.

OUR big brother Bill was, to us siblings, the best big brother ever.
An early memory of mine - in her 1st year of school (in the hard winter of '36) was of Bill breaking a path thru waist high snow all 2 1/2 miles from school to home and dragging her thru the worst of it.

When we were growing up in the depression on the homestead, our dad was often away working and Bill just took over as Mum's #2 guy, even when he was just a little tad. Not just chores around the house and farm, but at the age of9 or 10 driving a big team of horses cutting the hay and managing those big babies even when they tried to run away.
At 15, borrowing a team and rig from Grandpa McQuarrie he went harvesting with big, tough men and held his own with them - earning the princely sum of $8 a day.
So he learned responsibilty and a good work ethic early and these added to his kind, caring and gentle personality mad him loved and respected by all who knew him
Bill always looked after us all and was there any time we needed him, without being judemental or preachy.


Got home safely but very tired - too much rush and emotion I guess, but had a good visit with Geo and Kay and was glad to find them both well and happy.
The weeds are very tall and things are sort of dried out - but so it goes. looking forward to the reunion, altho didn't think I would be

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home