Thursday, November 23, 2006

What's your favourite funny Dad memory?

So, what is it?

Mine is:
I was at Capri shopping Centre and saw this man walking towards me. He had on a ratty green corduroy coat on, a Mack trucks toque, jeans, big square framed glasses, brown work boots. As he walked towards me from a distance I thought,"Oh another homeless man". As he drew closer and waved, I realized "that was no homeless man. That's Dad!"

Although it may also be when he and Mom went over to their friend's (who were visiting from out of town) sister's house. The sister grew pot. Dad said "I never understood the big deal about smoking pot" while they were visiting. The sister offered Dad some. He went home and made tea out of it, drank it, Mom asked how it was. Dad said "It tastes like drinking old leaves and I didn't get anything out of it" He was, I think, 74 at the time. I found out a few months later he had done it, and both he and Mom were smirking when they told me the story!

4 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

There are so many...one that I don't remember, but that I think about a lot, is when he got mad at Lisa for taking the phone (on its long cord) into the dining room so she could shut the door and talk for hours.

She went to use phone one day, and he had stapled the cord to the wall. I laugh every time I think of this.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

All these years of Lisa trying to pry stories of my misbehaivior out of me, and as it turns out the eye should have been on her own father. Absolutly hilarious.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Dad wasn't very hilarious when we were young. But I will never forget the time he phoned (one of about 3 times in my life) after all his houses in Kelowna sold at once. He not only called, it was in the middle of the day! He told me about the sales and I said, "That's good" or something like that, and he said, "But now I don't know where I'm going to live!" I'm sitll not sure if he was serious. But I reassured him that he has lots of kids and if he and mom spent a month or so at each place they wouldn't be exactly homeless. He seemed to cheer up after that.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Theresa, we can always count on you to cheer others up!

Dad also allowed you a maximum of ONE letter in your lifetime. Although I actually did get two. But one was after I'd given him that Robert Swanson book book of 'poems' for xmas...a special event.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home