Sunday, December 08, 2013

Election!

I'm just back from Victoria, and the election of a bishop for our diocese!  It was all very exciting (for church nerds), and I was really glad to be there.  This was the first time I had seen a bishop elected, so I didn't really know what to expect.

I actually went down to Victoria on Wednesday. I had a meeting with the interim bishop, which I had craftily scheduled for Thursday, giving me a couple extra days in the city.  These are the tricks one has to learn upisland. I stayed with Jeff and Kirsten, who are both doing well.  Jeff is slowly moving off the substitute list - this semester he's teaching two classes full time.

As it turns out, I was very glad I had come down on Wednesday, as it started to snow in Victoria (and apparently Tofino) on Thursday.  I was glad not to have to worry about either the roads or the other drivers. There was also a big power outage in Victoria on Thursday, and I had to fight my way across town with no traffic lights.  It's quite nerve wracking when an intersection with twelve lanes (counting turn lanes) is turned into a giant four way stop.

The election was on Saturday.  All the clergy of the diocese and elected lay people (one per hundred) from each church were all there, at the Cathedral.  We began with communion at 9, and then they shooed out everyone who was not a delegate (they had to watch from the balcony) and locked the doors.  I was one of the scrutineers, which was exciting (sort of).  I watched the lay people put their vote into the box, to make sure they didn't try and sneak in two ballots or something.  Then after everyone had voted, I went and helped count the votes.

There were six people running - five were people I know quite well, and the sixth was from New Zealand.  No one seemed to know why he would want to run in Canada.  I was disappointed that no lady clergy were running - in New Westminster (Vancouver) they had three or four women running.  The youngest person who was running isn't even forty - some people were quite shocked at his audacity!

We had to vote three times before we had an election (majority in the clergy and lay votes).  Logan, who some met at my ordination was elected (he's the Scottish one).  It was very exciting, since I thought all along he was the best candidate.  This was the fewest number of votes in our history- last time it was 5 votes, and before that 8.

Logan seems a little in shock - it's a big and pretty stressful job.  I think he will do well though.

I drove home today - no snow on the roads, but lots of snow and frost at some points in the mountains.  The road is lined at one point with trees, they were all snowy and frosty white -like driving down a bright white tunnel. It's good to be home!

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Was it weird sleeping at he bishop- elect's daughter's house?

5:09 AM  
Blogger Will said...

No, but it was weird to look at Logan and picture him in a mitre. And to realize he's my boss now.

3:46 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Surely there would be no need to ensure people were being honest at a bishop's election?

5:10 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You never know about those laypeople.

8:42 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

true, that

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home