Sunday, May 12, 2013

New York

We were busy, though when I was telling Richard what we did, it seemed like less.
I think it is because doing things there entails a lot of walking and planning-so it seems like more?
Allison waited for me at the airport, which I appreciated. We took a cab in and got to Times Square, the rest came and met us there. Times Square is like Las Vegas-busy, many people, flashing lights.
Our place was in Hell's Kitchen-mid town Manhattan. Great, great location.
There were some things that stood out for me:
Cars honk their horns a lot-for everything. I would think there was an accident or ambulance etc driving by. No-just some driver who had paused at the wrong time, setting off a chain reaction.
People there were not rude, nor was it dirty, nor did I feel  unsafe.
Police were more visible than in other cities, at least in busy areas. interesting. They are more a part of the culture.
It was full of people-everywhere. I suppose that is why people don't make as much eye contact. Once you make eye contact, it is a form of engagement. Being around so many people, you have to make your own space.
You couldn't tell who was from there and who was not because there is such a variety. You could tell that someone was a businessperson, or server, or whatever, but people wore all different types of clothes, spoke all different types of languages.
The subway is an efficient way to get around town. People walk all the time.
Housing is smaller, food is bigger.
I will write more later-we are going to go exercise, and then maybe to Greenery?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Humayun Ahmed Books said...

Great Post bro.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home