Saturday, April 27, 2013

Fort Bragg and Gold Beach

We stayed 2 nights in Bandon-nice place. We went to the museum there, and the 80 year old'ish woman who was volunteering there said, 'oh, I was pulling into the museum at the same time as you. I always park facing uphill in case of a tsunami' Richard made idle chitchat with her while I looked impatient. the museum was a good small town museum though.

We then thought, 'hey, why not go to San Francisco?' We got as far as Fort Bragg on the Mendocino coast, and decided to stop. Great place. Our room was the nicest so far, right on ocean, and state park. So many wildflowers that we grow in our gardens! Pampas grass, California poppies, ice plant, some kind of portulaca, iris, speedwell. The coast there is all state park. I kept taking pictures in my enchantment! We stayed 2 nights there, but no wifi.

Fort Bragg is actually a hippie town despite the name. There was an Occupy demonstration while we were there and there was a vegan culinary institute Living Light Culinary Institute. I think all the men had facial hair and women did not dye their hair! Lots of grey hair, beards and long hair. We looked around at the different things in the cute downtown, and then went to botanical gardens for a look. I think you could grow anything there.

I think though that restaurants in Kelowna are a lot better than what we have had here. Maybe if we had eaten at the vegan place?

We are now at Gold Beach, drove here today. we went through the Drive through tree. Richard made me pose and smile even though I felt like a dork. The giftshop seemed right out of 1960's California. Richard says that the postcards in there were also from the 1960's.The Redwoods are truly spectacular. 2000 years old! It was sad to see ones that had been chopped down though.

We also went through Eureka on our way. It made me think of the Oz  book where Dorothy and the Wizard are talking and one of them says that Eureka means I have found it.

Our room tonight is also on the ocean-also a nice place! We will go out for dinner and then go into jacuzzi and pool.


5 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

did you feel like midgets in the redwoods? I did.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I went back to the blog to refresh my memory about our Oregon trip because a lot of the places you are mentioning sound familiar. And I was right, we were at a lot of them. You are doing it the way Geoff wanted to, just stopping when you feel like it. Just a note, at the end of our holiday one of our party quit her job.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

There was a McGarrigles song about Mendocino -- I have always wondered what it was like. Makes sense it's a lot of hippies. All old hippies, or some new ones?

7:52 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Redwoods did make me feel small. There were both old and new hippies. They all had long hair though.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Laura Long said...

Not a place a barber would set up sh0p then

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home