Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Authors?

Jude suggested that Del should be able to post to the blog, so I have invited him. While I'm at it, anyone else who wants to be able to post? Send me an email or comment here!

 I have been back for almost a week now. Had an awkward conversation with my supervisor about holiday time - I forgot how crappy it is in America. Turns out there is an official policy that postdocs get 12 days PTO per year for everything - holidays, dentist appts, whatever. (Plus a couple of sick days). Quite grouchy about this as I said upfront that I would need to do some travelling to go see Del if I took the job, and he seemed quite happy with that at the time. I don't think he knew there was an official policy. I have negotiated some "working from home" time for days I am gone and I think he will be okay with that if I don't push it. (Apparently three weeks off at Christmas was kind of pushing it, whoops!)

But anyway, probably no visits now till April and I do end up working most weekends it seems, so it's not as if I won't be in the lab a lot. I guess if there turns out to be a problem I will start keeping track of hours and "working to rule", and since in my experience most postdocs work way more than 40 hours a week I think that should get me some time in lieu. It is weird though - my American colleague is coming from a job where they complained when she actually used her sick days and barely let her take a few days off for her wedding. She thinks it is great that we have more flexibility here and that no one minds if she gets sick. Meanwhile, I am chafing at the thought of only 12 days PTO after years of extremely flexible working/school, where I would be in the lab 10 or 12 hours for months and then take all of August off to escape to Oxford and do some writing or whatever. Personally I think the American system is messed up, but hopefully I can make it work somehow, because I really can't go an entire year with only 12 days to see Del... not to mention anyone else!

Other than that things are okay, though. Have a lot more energy than before Christmas - think I really needed the break. Obviously the trip back was ridiculous, but I recovered fairly quickly. I am busy writing a grant that would fund my salary for a year. Not very likely to get it, but coming up with some cool ideas and hoping maybe I could slip them in to existing visits anyway. We shall see.

 It was so great to see everyone at Christmas. Going back to a totally non-social existence is a bit of a shock. Helena has finally got her paperwork (after they made her miss Christmas) and headed back to see her family and do her embassy appointment on Friday. She has booked an open ticket and is not sure when she will return. I will definitely miss her but am thrilled they finally sorted things out.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

send links to Sandi and Jim and Courtney?

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Betty Anne said...

How about this side of the family? I am a regular reader but format isn't always easy to comment.
Do you have any projected dates for the wedding? 2013? or later?

10:39 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

actually, while the tulle is sort of itchy when I wore it there was a peticoat that went on first of heavy cotton starched stiff as a boArd to wear under the slirt - now that was itchy. It would be awesome if you could wear it with may some sort of soft slip under. It would be awesome if you could wear it.

11:13 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

ops - repeating myself

11:15 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I agree it would be awesome. It bears repeating.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Anyone who wants access has to post or send their email address! Then I will get the system to send you an email.

Sandi/Jim are on the list already. But if Betty Anne/Court/whoever want access all I need is an email address.

Sounds like early 2014 for the wedding but I am waiting for my wedding planner (Del) to contact venues :p
Earliest would be like November 2013 and that might be pushing it so thinking Feb or March 2014 when flights are cheap!

Yeah, it was the sleeves that were most scratchy. Bit hard to wear a petticoat there!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous BA said...

since I don't have your correct email address... one of mine is baalexander@hotmail.com

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home