Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Hopping On The Bandwagon

Well, since everyone is posting now, I guess I will as well. October was a very busy month. Very busy. I think I only got about four full days off for the whole month. And I worked a lot of long days, where I was working all day, and then in meetings in the evening. I don't mind too much though, because there was some interesting stuff.

I was the keynote speaker at one of our diocesan mission conferences. I talked about the importance of seeking God interculturally - the idea was that our cultural assumptions can limit how we think about God. I used the traffic in Sri Lanka as a metaphor. Then we looked at pictures of Jesus - a black Jesus, an Asian Jesus, a Sri Lankan Jesus, a historically accurate picture of a Judean male from the first century, and talked about how these different images shaped our ideas of God.

Halloween was quiet. Jeff and Kirsten came over, and we made supper, carved jack o'lanterns, and watched movies, waiting for trick or treaters. Only two came, so with great reluctance we ate the candy ourselves. After they left I was on duty in the Church. Last year there was significant damage in the graveyard at Halloween, thanks to vandals, so Peter wanted someone there all night. He stayed till 11:30, then I stayed till 5 am. A parishioner came by and sat with me til around 2, and then I was on my own. I sat in the church reading a book, and did periodic sweeps of the graveyard. No vandals, although one woman had decorated her daughter's grave with a jack o lantern, which was sort of creepy at 1 am.

Probably as a result of staying up all night in a draughty church, I am now sick. I've got a sore throat and stuffy nose. I spent today drinking lemon ginger tea. It is very difficult to be creative when your head is full of cotton.

I'm finalizing all my things for the ordination! November 30, 4:30 pm, by the way. I've chosen my lay presenters - my buddy Jeff, who some of you met, and Auntie Barb, who is able to make it down. I was really glad that Auntie Barb could come. It turns out that some old friends of hers from Yellowknife are my parishioners!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Auntie Barb is going?! Now I really wish I could come. :(

10:27 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I wish I could go to....

6:26 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

That is exciting about Barb! and creepy about the jack o'lantern. Maybe Halloween was the daughter's favourite time?

That idea of intercultural approaches to God does sound very interesting -- I am interested in how much people are able to see and accept difference (e.g., image of Jesus as different than theirs) and how much they resist it. Not religious-wise, in general.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

What does a presenter do?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

It's okay Grace, I can be your official representative. haha

9:05 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

What are these "days off" of which you speak?!

Looking forward to the end of Nov and VERY excited to see Auntie Barb!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home