Monday, January 24, 2011

New Year

So, the new semester at VST is a bit later than at many institutions, but in my case they seem to make up for that by handily eliminating any kind of gentle lead in period. It's only the second week of the semester, and already I've got the feeling that I'm a juggler. There are lots of balls up in the air, and I'm praying that I keep catching them all.

Classes are really interesting. One is "Spirit and/as Mindfulness Practise" which is sort of looking at how the notion of Mindfulness, often found in the Eastern traditions, such as Buddhism is present/can be worked into Christianity. Part of what makes it interesting is that the professor is sort of learning along with us. She's done tons of background reading and so forth, and gives a lecture each class, but much of it is discussion, and working through things as a class. The other really interesting class is a class on the book of Amos (a prophet in the Old Testament). It's a class on social justice, so alongside our learning about how Amos called for social justice in the 7th century BCE, we work on social justice issues in our time. Apparently we even get to write oracles at one point! We are working on a case of a Seattle Police officer shooting a partially deaf homeless first nations man.

I tried my hand at Lisa's Christmas Perogies this week! I think they turned out really well. I brought them over to my friends' place, and their 19 month old daughter loved them - much smacking of lips and "mmmm"s. She's not the pickiest eater, but it made me feel good! I had lots of filling left over, so I gave them the perogies, and will make some more dough. I was surprised at how easy it was!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I had heard about that shooting in Seattle -- what a sad, tough case.

Mindfulness is good for depression! and perfectionism! and living life!

Nice work on the perogies.

11:28 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Mindfulness also good for people with Borderline Personality Disorder.
I run a group on the unit on Mindfulness. I feel that 2010 was the year of mindfulness for me.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Mindfulness/meditation are big topics of research in cognitive neuroscience right now. Interesting stuff.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home