Thursday, September 24, 2009

Of Accidents, School and the Canadian Government

I've been meaning to post here for a long time, but things keep getting in the way. I'm back in Vancouver, and back at school now. As mom mentioned, I was rear ended on the way down here, just outside Clinton (a couple hours from Quesnel). I was stopped at a construction flag, and the lady behind me didn't stop. It was pretty bad - the truck will be a write off it looks like. The tailgate was hanging on by just a thread (well, by a wire). I managed to wedge it into place, drove to Clinton (after the police came and talked to us), where a mechanic and I strapped the tailgate on to the truck so my stuff wouldn't all fly out. Then I just kept driving. After all, I can't let a little accident keep me from my schedule!

School will be good, but busy. I have a couple jobs - I'm the chapel assistant for the Anglicans, which means that I organize a lot of the worship that we do (8 times a week), and make sure the first years know what they are doing. Lots of baking communion bread and ironing altar linens! The other job is as the research assistant for the Liturgy Professor. This is really interesting- he's doing a paper on the changing attitude toward the Jews in the Good Friday liturgy. I can't wait! I'm also in 5 classes, ranging from pretty straightforward (Skilled Listening, Homiletics) to the interesting but full of hard work (Global Cities, Spirituality and Ecological Justice and Greek/Hebrew).

I went to Victoria last weekend, where I was inspired to take part in some political activism. Our diocese there has a companion relationship (ie we pray for each other) with the Church of the Province of Myanmar. Our bishop had invited 15 people from the church there to come to the Island for a visit, but only 4 got visas from the Canadian government. The others were considered a flight risk, despite the fact that the church is paying for and sponsering them. Apparently that wasn't good enough for the Canadian Governement. So I spent last night writing letters to 4 MPs, 4 Cabinet Ministers, the Leader of the Opposition, the Prime Minister and the Governor General.

I did get to meet the four who got through- all very nice. We are doing a return trip next year, in November/December, and I was asked to go along! Assuming it will work out with school, it will be awesome.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Is Myanmar what you are supposed to call it? Burma is not the name any more?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Well, Burma was the colonial name, so that's not PC, but Myanmar is the name that the military dictatorship gave it, so that's not quite the thing either. I asked a guy from there one time, and he said they call it either or both. They don't seem to care.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

What is Homiletics?

12:17 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Preaching

3:14 PM  
Blogger GEOFF said...

I talked to the ICBC adjustor in Quesnel yesterday, and in the course of the conversation he said that the lady that wrecked my classic automobile is quite pleased to have a new "ride", as she thought she would die before that happened.
So I guess turn down lips for us, results in someone being happy.
I haven't got the payout for the truck yet, but am hoping it will bring upturned lips here.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I love that your job involves baking and ironing.

(Apparently Blogspot would like to comment as well: the word verification says gagme!)

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home