Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Back at school

Finished up at the historic site in the last week of August, and boy was I glad to be out of there. How can somewhere with so many young workers have so much office politics? However, I got a promise of a good reference from my boss, so that's good, particularly as I'm looking for a co-op position.

My first two work terms are back to back, supposed to be January to August. So I've been really busy applying to anything that sounds like it's remotely applicable to my major (accounting) or my minor (operations management) or not even close, but sounds all right (HR, management consulting, finance) so hopefully I'll get picked up by somebody out of the 20 or so organizations I'm applying to. It's pretty stressful, especially since accounting is so competitive.

My courses are pretty rough this semester, two ops management courses, two accounting courses, and intermediate macroeconomics to top it off. I'm finding it really difficult to keep up with everything normally, never mind when group projects and midterms are surfacing already. One that looks like it will be difficult is about where to put receivers for reading utility meters on the sides of houses in the most efficient way. Now, that might seem pretty banal to you (ie. Who Cares?), but it's the kind of thing I like doing and it's a real-life problem facing operations people.

I'm still working as the Food Ombudsman this year. The position, which I did last year, is basically the three-way communication link between ARAMARK (the food contractor), the university administration, and the students on a meal plan. The meal plan is a mandatory part of living in Lister, so it's a touchy subject. Anyway, this year ARAMARK's contract expires after 15 years, so the university is putting together a request for proposal. I'm involved in this through focus groups and advising, and as always, transmitting the information between the three stakeholders. The workload has increased as more students want to get involved and I'm personally involved in the process, but at least it's interesting and pushes my portfolio from the back burner into the spotlight. The Lister Hall Students' Association (LHSA) president seems really interested in food this year, so I got office space and a computer, which is sweet. Plus I know more about it than anybody, and it's nice to be an expert at something.

I'm also VP Academic for the Operations Management Club. Mostly what I do there is coordinate the OM tutor program. Half the people in business are on the exec of some sort of club, so I thought I'd better start up for resume material.

This year I also moved floors, up to 9 Henday from 3 Henday. I have a roommate again, for the third year. He's an offensive lineman for the varsity football team. Somehow the smallest guy on the floor got put with the biggest; his legs stick four inches over the bed. However, he is pretty chill and we get along really well.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

Sam! I can't believe I'm reading a post from you. Your schedule makes me feel tired.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I laughed when I read that there is an Operations Management Club.

1:26 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Sam, you are amazing - I too get tired just reading about all you do

3:08 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

But the biggest question is, is your roomate from Canada? Come on over for supper on sunday , if you can fit me into your busy schedule.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Sam F said...

Sorry AJ, I have a meeting tonight... as always, my loss.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home