Sunday, September 27, 2009

Handmade

This is a stuffed kitty doll that I made in a workshop at Latitude yesterday. The show is by Chris Reid (from Saskatchewan) and it's this great mix of very colourful paintings, stuffed kitties and bunnies, and Baba Yaga chicken-leg-house sculptures. I made the kitty out of a sweater that Magda wrecked. I still need to make its eyes.

Things are rolling along. I have one presentation done for school, and two more that will be done by next Saturday. I have my final paper topic for one class, so will start to find material for that paper today. Surprisingly, being busier means that I am more motivated to work at my job; much less ennui than I was experiencing during the summer.

L53 had our AGM this week and I am officially past-president, meaning I don't need to do much for next 12 months. Very few people other than the Board attended the AGM. Either that means that people hate us and what we do (I can think of at least one example of this), or that they think that AGMs are boring, or that we are probably doing fine. Our Board is an excellent group, I think, and I am really happy with them. The freedom I feel is the reason I was actually able to go to L53 and do the workshop...usually I have seen so much of what we do as 'work' that I can't always relax and enjoy it. It's a new era.

I paid the deposit of 100 pounds for our Tobermory rooms. I won't collect just yet; it might be that I could just take this off my room cost at the end of the trip. And I did book my flights! I arrive Nov 11 and leave Nov 20. My flight home is direct, London-Edmonton. But it does leave Glasgow at 6:45am. Maybe I should stay my last night in Glasgow instead.

I think Lisa should go ahead and arrange for houseboat for 7 day trip....

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

That cat looks real.

8:54 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

when I first looked at the pic, I thought you had stuffed Magda - cute but not very tasteful, then spotted the doll, phew!
The Wensinks are off to the wedding in Oregon - or were guess they are on route home by now, taking lots of time, so am cat sitting - its ok so far - Nick has neither tried to escape nor used every spot but the litter box for his toilet. It is easier going to Blondeaux than Jones - no bus transfer and it only takes minutes each way. Thought of walking one way, but lost the thought right snappily when I added up the times it would take.
Have been looking at their travel book on GB and there's lots on Scotland - no matter where we go there are many interesting things to see and do.
Just over a month and we'll be on the ancestral islands - can hardly believe it.
weather is still good - cooler now and a bite in the morning air but very pleasant. finished painting the porch & it looks good.
construction still going on behind so still noisy and dusty, but am getting used to it.
the cats will be getting hungry so had best go

8:54 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I should have Magda stuffed to punish her for wrecking things.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Do the cats miss Natasha?

4:12 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

No. They don't even notice. Jerks.

8:30 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

Cats are selfish & self centered - why do we love them? Because they are like people?

2:01 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I think maybe we admire them for their ability to be selfish wihtout feeling any guilt. Or rather, admire them for their ability to do their own thing and not worry about people's reactions.
I like the calico job on the one cat-very realisitc.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

OK I'm a dummy. I thought the cat in the front was what you made. Now it has dawned on me that what you made is the back. The cat is very realistic.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I thought you were just using your deadpan humour, Theresa! I laughed.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home