Sunday, June 07, 2009

ACL

I had my Rex Kwon Do episode a couple weeks ago and sprained my knee, but valiantly I carried on, wearing a knee brace, taking ibuprofen, and icing it. Then my knee kind of dislocated at work last Sunday. So I was wheeling myself around the nursing station on a chair and thinking that since I couldn't weightbear at all that someone would have to take me down to my car in a wheelchair so I could go to a walk in clinic. A psychiatrist came in and I asked her how she was at knees. 'not so good' she said. Then a hospitalist (for pts who don't have a family GP), came in, I asked him too. He laughed. He came back from seeing patient and the psychiatrist (who is quite a funny woman), said 'but you haven't fixed Lisa's knee yet!' So he popped my leg on his knee, felt around and popped it back into position. I went to my GP who said hmm, it maybe your anterior cruciate ligament and your medial cruciate ligament-torn. She is sending me for Xrays and to a orthopedist. This does not sound all that encouraging to me as generally surgery is the answer to these types of knee injuries, but I am hoping that physio will be the treatment instead of surgery. Also, because I work at this hospital, I don't really want to be operated on at it. 'No thanks, I won't need a catheter' It initially was painful, but now just kind of gets achy. I am icing it, taking ibuprofen, and wearing a knee brace. Turn 40 and now I get all these injuries-back, knee.
in other news, almost finished this damn mental health course, a presentation to do and then finito! This stupid thing has been going on for over a year.
We are almost finished redoing the walkway part of the deck. Just waiting for the Duradek people to come put that stuff on and we can now walk on it without fear of falling through it. Hello ground. It had 5 layers of plywood on it, each layer rotted through. 'Hey, honey our deck is rotted through! I know, let's put another layer of plywood on and cover it with indoor carpeting!' Main deck also reinforced as the roof was kind of not to code. Don't think it is up to code now, but at least we won't worry about it blowing off or crashing down with a snowfall now.
Saw both Angels and Demons and new Terminator movie. Of the 2, I recommend Terminator.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Good luck with your knee Lisa.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Hey, I have a bad knee too! I have to go for an x-ray but the doctor said they probably won't find anything, the x-ray is just in case it is arthritis. He said an MRI might show where there is a torn ligament then they could possibly fix it with surgery. I said no thanks. I'm not using up an MRI for something that probably can't be fixed anyway. My main worry was that if I used it I would do more damage, but apparently that won't happen.

4:14 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Does he think it's s torn ligament?
Is your knee sore? Does it go out of position?
When did you do it?
Just comparing joints.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Yes my knee is sore, hurts for a long time after going for a walk or being on it. Once in a while it goes out of position. It's been worse for the last six months or so but started a couple of years ago. Old age. You think 40 is bad.
The doctor thinks it is probably a tear of some sort.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Mine started doing similar things when I was 12 or so. Can't wait to see what exciting aches I get in the next ten years or so!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home