Friday, February 06, 2009

People Keep Offering Me Jobs

This phenomena has got me a little bewildered. I mean, historically I've not had much trouble finding work, but I usually put that to either good connections, or simply working hard. But in the last two weeks, I've been offered four jobs. Yes, four separate jobs. The first one is a job for the summer. I'm going to Barkerville, which is one of these historical re-creation towns, near Quesnel, which is sort of in the north, in BC. You know, the kind of town where everyone who works there dresses up in period costume. Anyway, apparently they hire an Anglican seminary student every summer to play the part of the Anglican priest who lived there in 1870. So I'll be running the church like it was run in 1870, which means mostly leading morning and evening prayer, although I'll have to preach as well. The rest of the time, I think I just be around, for the tourists to gawk at. I'll wear clerical clothes, which I think will mean a cassock, and a priest's collar (although I have to put a black line down the middle, to show that I'm not really ordained). I know the guy who had the job last year, and he told me about it, so I e-mailed the guy who is in charge - two e-mails later, I had the job.

The other three are even a weirder story. First, I was contacted about doing some part time security work at the school. Not much, just responding to alarms, making sure the library is empty when it's time to close, that sort of thing. While I was meeting about that job, I was offered a back-up sacristan position for the campus United church. This one will just be if the regular guy can't make it.

Reeling somewhat from the barrage of offers, I made my way up to class, only to be met by one of my classmates, asking if I wanted a job as a child and family worker at her church. I had to turn that one down, because I've got field placement on Sunday mornings.

So I'm up two jobs for the rest of the semester, and one for the summer. Not bad for not thinking about it at all!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

it's true, people in ministry are recession proof apparently

9:15 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

What does a sacristan do?
You and your jobs. You usually have at least two it seems.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Will said...

A sacristan is the one who makes sure that everything is ready for Sunday morning; that there is enough bread and wine, those sorts of things.

11:53 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

I think it is because you are hard worker Will, last year it was offers of money, this year jobs - wow! Barkerville sounds like it would be a fun summer - depending on how much it rains - once we went there from Prince George ( your Mom & Dad, the aunts, etc and I've never seen it rain like that anywhere - killed the picnic
Congrats on being so popular

11:59 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Barkerville sounds like fun, make sure you get some pictures in your "uniform".

5:08 PM  
Blogger Laura Long said...

Mom is right we went to Barkerville, I was there a couple of times and my recollection is that it rained all three times. I hope that it was just the weather that year.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

We should come visit you in Barkerville to watch the sacristry in action!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home