Thursday, December 18, 2008

They'll be home for Christmas

Roads in Alberta are the pits. Yesterday was travel day for Anne and Sam/Grace. Got up to lots of snow and icy roads-ugh. The plan had been for Will to take the car to Calgary to pick up Anne at the airport, while I drove the newer Ford to Edmonton to pick up the scholars.
Plans changed a bit with the weather, and Will took the Ford with 4X4 and I took the old truck to Edmonton. Highway 2 was awful- there was a huge accident at Red Deer- the highway was closed from the hiway 11A junction on the north side, right down thru to the far south. Radio said there were semis turned over and jacknifed all over. Will had gone ahead of me, so I was worried that he was in the middle of it, but he had made it thru before the pileup (maybe he was the cause). I had the radio on and when I heard the of the accident on the news, and when I went over the overpass and saw a virtual parking lot on highway 2, I kept going and went up highway 2A. It was slick, but open. Lots of black ice though- I found myself spinning out a couple of times when I touched the accelerator to go up hills. I drove 80-90 kph most of the way, and was getting passed all the time.
Roads in the city were fairly good if you were careful- saw several accidents though.
Came home Highway 2 and 12, and the roads seemed to be better- and we got home before it got really dark.
Anne slept a bit when she got home, then after being up for a couple of hours went back to bed, and woke up at 6:00 this morning, so she is well on her way to adjusting to Alberta time.
Theresa is the only one slaving away, as I am on vacation until next year- although there is a long to-do list.
Lisa- if you get to post photos of cats, I can post photos of really interesting and cute things also. This is 05-01-034-08W5- note the neat valves, regulators and transmitters.
I think they are kind of cute.

I will post more photos if I can stretch some moose horns over the level controller.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Thanks for the ride!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Bernie thinks she sees a Jenkins ball valve.

9:28 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Geoff, you are a funny man.
I'm waiting for th moose horns

11:38 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

05-01-034-08w5 is among the cutest of its kind that I've ever seen.

11:57 AM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

is that your answer to the refinery's christmas treet? but where are the lites

1:38 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

Geoff, thanks for picking up the gifts.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home