Friday, December 05, 2008

What is a chinook arch?

I was in a meeting the other day, and I looked out the window, and commented that if we were not in Edmonton, I would say it was a chinook arch outside. All I got from around the table was blank looks, one of them I could understand, Jeanne is from Kansas, but rest were life long Albertans, I thought everyone who lived in Alberta would know the definition of a chinook arch!!

We have had a return to winter, temps below zero, snow, I was not all that upset, because it meant I got to wear my lovely new red coat and new boots. Christmas shopping is going along, I have some people off my list, and for most of the others I have an idea, which makes me very happy. This weekend, it will be house and tree decoration, with the assistance of Grace and her roommate Leanna. I am looking forward to it, because I just could not get motivated to decorate last weekend after all the hard work shopping and schmoozing on Saturday. Not to mention getting some help with the decorating is awesome.

This week at work has really busy, only two more weeks and then a two week break. Initially I thought I might go somewhere for the second week, saw a seat sale to New York that seemed a good deal. But after thinking about it a little more, I think I will keep the car for the whole two weeks and start looking at stuff related to the renovation I want to do in the condo. I talked to Allison's fellow co-op member at Schmoozy (Jen), and she gave me the name of a good kitchen designer, and a general contractor. That got me all excited again, so 2010 will be the year of change. Having a car will also allow me to drive out to some of those nice furniture stores in the west end, and see if I can find some living room furniture. So if anyone wants to come iwth me to look, you are more than welcome to.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I don't know what a chinook arch is either!

Your kitchen will be fantastic post-reno -- I imagine lots of light via a half wall or something like...

I work today. Hmph. But get Monday off at least. This has been a good week but lots of meetings (good and bad, board-wise) and I feel pretty drained.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

That is too funny, maybe you don't visit Rocky in the winter enough. It is when the sky is is all cloudy, except for an arch in the west, which shows blue sky.
Here is the wikipedia description One of the most striking features of the chinook is the chinook arch, which is a band of stationary stratus clouds caused by air rippling over the mountains due to orographic lifting. To those unfamiliar with the chinook, the chinook arch may look like a threatening storm cloud at times.

If you go to this link you can see some pictures.

Since you spent much of your formative years in BC, I guess you can be forgiven for not knowing.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

That only shows one picture, here is another link

8:15 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I will help you furniture shop! wheeee! Hope to spend some time in Edmonton between Christmas and New Years, so...

2:17 AM  
Blogger Judith said...

Excellent news, I love having someone else's opinon.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home