Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Could we just wrap this up?

OK, home inspection is done. House is good except needs new furnace, it is original to house-that's 40 years old, probably new hot water tank, and front walkway thingy needs to be redone-as in it's rotting. We'll probably put in a heat pump as air conditioner is 20 years old, and do it all in one fell swoop. We figured on new furnace, and I thought as going through house-hmmm-is that walkway thingy OK? before the home inspection. The deck is OK, it's just the front part that you see in the picture. Apparently it's just plywood-no weather resistant stuff there-other than outdoor carpet. Who built that and thought that would be a good idea?
Now we are waiting to get OK from lender. They have our last few paystubs, letter from employers, have called our employers, have copies of our house assessment from the BC Assessment Authority, we have had an independent assessor come and assess our house. They also have our rental agreements, copies of our bank statements-proving we actually do have money, as well as copies of our RRSP holdings. They know our financial picture better than we do. Of course, seeing all the news stories right now, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. All these stories are talking about how the banks all of the sudden don't want to lend money.
Anyhow, as we were going through the house we were thinking of where to put things etc. I am pretty happy about the whole thing and am finally sleeping better. the kitchen has a convection oven-and a garburator. Like we'll ever use that-all that good compost sent into the sewer. What we need is an automatic composter.
Richard has started packing and I have been allowed to pack a few boxes under supervision.
I just want to wrap this up.
We changed our move in date to January 27 as I was offered a trip to Toronto for work! For a conference on decreasing smoking rates among people with mental illness! But sadly registration was closed, so it looks like it will be later in the year. Which would actually work out much better considering that we would be in the middle of moving. We're going to hire movers, but we all know how I feel about having my life disorganized and in boxes.
I feel terribly unprepared for Christmas and don't know how this will resolve itself given that all this other stuff is happening and it seems that since beginning house purchase I have had to spend most of my time worrying about things. this doesn't leave me enough time to actually accomplish things. But I did review shopping list and felt better as it seems that we actually did a lot of it on the weekend before we seriously started looking at buying a home.
The rest of this week I need to: bake 10 dozen cookies for cookie exchange tomorrow (never mind Allison, you'll be happy enough to eat them). Get OK from mortgage broker and take conditions off of sale of house (could this thing take any longer?!), finish Xmas cards, finish shopping for out-of town people, do some more packing, recaulk our bathtub, go to LES Xmas party, supposed to go to mtg for resident's association today but am going to excuse self based on this list, begin to decorate, clean house somewhat, and then go back to work on Saturday.
Sob.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Lisa, reading about all the stuff you are involved in, makes me feel like a sloth. I am sure that with you financial record, your bank should be happy to lend you the money. And I commend you on your decision to hire movers, it is so much easier, then all you do is direct them.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Why are you dissing me in this post?

7:38 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Because I can.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

awesome! Part of my PhD might be about decreasing smoking rates. Not among the mentally ill so much, though. I don't think.

I have a giant list too. It also involves moving, to another country, with a stop in an entirely different province en route. Bah. Christmas shopping hasn't been happening so much, but I think i will cut myself some slack this year! Maybe you'll all just get Fruit and Nut.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I see Woolworth's is going bankrupt. If they have a sale maybe you could get me a pair of nicely decorated wellies for Christmas. I don't know why I didn't buy some when we were there.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Will see what I can do! Anything pour ma mere. I already bought out the Bangor Woolworth's (decimated) stock of Fruit and Nut.

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home