Sunday, December 07, 2008

I can see the light...

I haven't posted in quite some time, and I wouldn't now either, except that I'm taking a break.

Life's going pretty good, in general; classes finished up on Wednesday and as of now, I've written 2 exams. The first was a take-home essay exam for history, which was fine, and I wrote my three-hour management science exam on Friday.

To be fair, I didn't really "write" it, as it was a computer-based exam in a lab. Interesting thing about that exam, the answer key was posted that night, and you could download the exam you uploaded for grading as well as the answers, so you could effectively grade your own test and know your approximate mark right away (not that it tells you much, you have to know the average and standard deviation to figure out where you are on the curve to make sense of it). "Management Science", by the way, sounds much more interesting than the reality, which is building and analyzing regression models and stuff to predict phenomonon like housing prices and salaries. However, I am now fairly good at Excel.

I also completed my business plan and the presentation for it. It's a personalized handbag company called YOUnique Handbags, with the slogan Be YOU. Be YOUnique. I know it's cheesy, but I thought it up at 2AM on the morning it was due, so sue me. I got through the presentation by fudging my financials like crazy and making up a bunch of stuff. I learned too late that this business would never be viable in real life.

Now I have a week off and then exams on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. I've got most of my Christmas shopping done, which is very surprising and well ahead of my own schedule. Work has been pretty slow at CAPS; not much going on this time of year. I have my performance review on Wednesday, though. At Lister, I put together the fall food satisfaction survey, and the responses make for interesting reading. I've had a few end-of-term meetings and such, but that position is basically done until after Christmas.

I got invited to some sort of awards ceremony in January for something or other, so I'm deciding whether to go to that, and I have space for two guests. It's at lunchtime on a Saturday. I missed the first two awards ceremonies I was invited to this year, and I don't know whether it's worth the time for this one either. However, the food will probably be good.

I'm also under pressure to either declare a minor or change my major before the end of the month. I have the form on my desk, but nothing is really hitting me right. Possibilities include accounting, human resource management, marketing, operations management, retailing/services, and management and organization. Or I could stick with International Business, my declared major currently; however, the only reason I declared that was that I thought it had the most possibility for scholarships, and it looks like I got one, so I'm hesitant to switch.

7 Comments:

Blogger bethsivak said...

hi all
I always ride onto the blog on someone elses coattails and this time its yours Sam. Sounds like you are a busy fella with too many decisions on your plate, but of course you are also so capable you can handle it!
Kay called yesterday to tell me they had been to John Leeuws funeral - guess it shud not have been a surprise as he was 87, but some how I did not expect he would go because he always seemed young. It will be hard for Marg- they must have been together for 60 yrs and were still in their house and none of the girls live in AB now.
I have had sort of a bug and can't quite seem to shake it - have good day followed by 2 or 3 off ones - bah humbug! However dont really have to do anything much and am slowly getting over it.
Stan has started chemo and seems to be handling it well. No side effects yet.
Did you all see your coz the distinguished lawyer Ramona after her big trial making prosecutorial comments? I felt so proud of her you'd have thought she was my kid.
Jim called and Sandi wrote - she is feeling much better - got on some meds that are working - they are looking forward to their 1st Xmas together.
My outdoor lites are sitting in the hall - I think I'll take them out of boxes and stretch them out today and put them up either today or whenever.
I have been past THE HOUSE a couple of times, but missed the chance to go inside - its really close to the duck pod - just a couple of houses - do everyone remember the pond. Mtge arranging is a real pain in the butt at this time, but everything is falling into place now - quelle excitement

9:09 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

You could take your dad and I as your guests to the award ceremony. We could use some good food too.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Will said...

If the awards ceremony is before the 15th of January, you can take me. I'd be willing to suffer some good food for my little brother.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Judith said...

I don't understand why you picked handbags and not shoes. I could have given you all kinds of pointers on what people look for in a good shoe store.
If your Mom and Dad and/or brother can't make it to the awards banquet, I would go with you.

Sam, you missed the last episode of Amazing Race, Grace's Team won, mine did not make the top 3, but in the end I was kind of rooting for the Frat boys, because I enjoyed watching them do the Russian dancing. However the guy who reminds me of you (Sam) is still alive in Survivor.

What kind of a scholarship did you get relating International Business? If you stay with that major, you could come and work at Internation Business Machines.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Mom, I was sorry to hear about Mr. Leeuw. IF we had known, we would have gone to his funeral. Such great people. I remember thinking at Dad's funeral that Mr. Leeuw didn't look all that much different than back in the day.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Woo, regression analysis! Comes in handy for all sorts of things. Maybe you can help me with my homework now.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Sam F said...

AJ: I'm not sure what sort of award. They're very secretive, for no apparent reason.

Anne: Yes, regression does seem more useful then some of the nonsense we get put through around here.

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home