Monday, December 03, 2007

Life in K-Town

How's this for a font? Not very exciting, I think.
We (as in new grads in psychiatry) toured a bunch of community places this past week for work. It makes me appreciate my life when I see how others struggle. We went to the homeless shelter, mental health houses, women's shelter, CMHA, different counselling places such as Elizabeth Fry, A&D treatment places etc. The world is full of difficulty.
The positive thing about all of this is that I was struck by how caring others are and that there are a tremendous amount of people out there who want to do the right thing. Even if I don't always agree with somewhat different approaches etc., there is room for all of it.
It also made me feel good to know that Les would have been around people like the ones we met during our community tour. I don't know why the death of someone I never knew should affect me like that. Just because it seems sad, yet somehow good that someone who has struggled should have dignity in his life and death. I think it is true that quote that 'a measure of a society is determined by how it treats its most vulnerable citizens.'
I don't think it helps or matters to judge how people end up in the places they do. If I start focusing on that in psychiatry, all that happens is that I feel like banging my head against a wall, seeing people who don't, for whatever reason, get better. I find that I am much happier if I look at what people accomplish and how they are surviving,despite some rather incredible adversity, rather than what they do not achieve and how they could do better.
In that vein, I had a staff meeting today where I wanted to bang my head against a wall. If we are all professionals and working toward quality patient care, shouldn't people start acting like it? Just wondering. Sigh. I thought when I became a professional that strangely things would become professional. It is not to be.
In other news, Nick has developed a terrible habit of peeing in the office. This is disgusting and I have notified him. He is a Bad Animal.
We sold the Intrepid. Richard feels very pleased. Now he has a parking space for the car.

3 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

Good post Lisa.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

HOw did you sell the Intrepid?

5:12 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

WE put an ad in the paper.
2 guys came and were very excited about buying it. They seemed like good people. I am not good at selling things though. Richard had to do it all. He told them everything that was wrong with it, but I still wanted to give it away.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home