Friday, November 30, 2007

U2charist

I went to my first U2charist tonight. It's a Eucharist service set to the music of U2. It was pretty interesting- they are doing a series of ten for the ten Millennium Goals from the UN. Since tomorrow is World AIDS Day, tonight's focus was the eradication of HIV/ AIDS. They had a girl from AIDS Vancouver Island in to talk to us, and tell us her story. She is from Kenya, and is HIV positive. It was a pretty sad story, and she told it well. The whole experience was pretty odd for me - I didn't know any of the songs (all U2 songs, of course) but the live band was pretty good (with a priest on drums...)and they had the words on a screen so you could sing along. Lisa, I think you would have liked it. Not a lot of people there, but it was at the UVic Interfaith Chapel, rather than a regular church, and I think that meant that fewer people came. The prayers and the whole service were pretty directly focused on helping, and overcoming this pandemic, and so were very different than I'm used to. I liked it though.

4 Comments:

Blogger Judith said...

You don't know any of the U2 songs Will? That surprises me. The
U2charist, is that something that the church does in a lot of different parishes, or is it a local event?

7:48 AM  
Blogger Will said...

The original idea from it came from somewhere else, but it's been a group of young Anglicans putting on the ones in Victoria- this was only the second. The first was held a big church downtown, then this one at UVic, and the one in Feburary will be at an Anglican church upisland. I think they're trying to keep it moving around so it doesn't get identified with any one parish

12:32 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

It does sound like something that I'd like.
How have you not heard any U2 songs?
I guess the Hurtin Albertans don't sing them....

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you liked the U2charist! Can you put me in touch with its organizers? I'd love to be able to post any prayers, playlists, sermons, or anything else they'd like to share for the benefit of others hosting U2charists on the U2charist resources page!

Blessings,

Dylan

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home