Saturday, November 28, 2015

Winter is Coming

You know nothing Jon Snow.
as winter seems to be here, it is cold and we have a bit of snow, not very much, but it is chilly out.
went to Vancouver last weekend to see Allison as she was there with conference. Stayed at Hotel Vancouver-fancy-pants. we didn't do too much, a bit of shopping, lots of walking. I got a dress on sale at Anthropologie, which is the only way I would buy a dress there. Allison broke a glass dish there-smash!

I feel behind for Christmas, sigh. It isn't even December yet, why should I feel behind?  Also, I spent a good part of yesterday with a client who is over 50, and is starting over from scratch-has an apartment (that we got thanks to a non-profit who does scattered site), and everything this person has is free from non-profit thrift stores etc. Doing this work is a good way to disengage from consumerism. I have so much stuff, and the people I work with have almost nothing. To use the food bank, you have to have proof of ID, and an address etc. This person did not have ID, but they allowed  as I vouched for. All very dehumanizing, especially when food bank guy was crabby.

Sometimes I also think about how much money I get to work with people who have almost nothing. In some way, wouldn't it be better to actually give people on social assistance a living amount of money? On PWD (persons with disability social insurance), someone gets about $900, and of that, a cheap rent for 1 bedroom is $800/month. (they do not seem to ever build bachelor suites, which is too bad)There are several people in rooming houses (which is a better option in some ways, because it is hard to get landlords to rent to people with disabilities), but those are $450 for a room, shared with at least 5 other people in the house, with their own set of issues. How can anyone make it work? Food bank lets you access 1x/month, if you have above requirements and can stand outside in cold for 1-2 hours. Salvation Army will let you get food if you exhaust food bank, and St Michael's church, St Vincent de paul, and 1st united, have some food cupboards (thanks Anglican, Catholic, United, and Salvation Army churches!) Gospel Mission will always be open and you can get meals there, but many people don't like going there, for obvious reasons.

For these reasons, I feel pretty fortunate to have the life I do have.

What else is new? Not so much. Been doing some thesis (nagging voice inside says not enough), but I always want to sleep when I start doing it. Clearly, run out of gas with it. We hates it, precious, we hates it.

Ok, enough rambling, and will turn on potatoes for supper!


2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

I think you mean "winter" is coming.

7:29 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

It took me a minute to clue in.
Isn't -10 winter-like?

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home