Thursday, March 06, 2014

Two Days Early

I went to check in at the airport on Monday morning, and they had no record of me flying to Calgary on that date.  Like an idiot, I did not have anything that said I was supposed to be on that flight except for the boarding pass from my flight to the UK.  The agent I spoke to was great, she took my phone, went over to the the other counter and managed to find out that I was supposed to fly out on Wednesday. They could get me on the flight but could not guarantee Business Class.  By this time I did not care if I went Business Class or not, my cold was getting worse, and all I wanted to do was come home.  So off to the the ticket counter, got rebooked in economy, the agent said there were still 7 seats in business available, but would not find out if I could upgrade until I got to the gate.  When I got to the gate, I got the upgrade so all was well.  In the end I think that it was meant to be, because as Theresa said, I got here, had supper and pretty much stayed in bed, nursing my cold until Wednesday morning.  I felt pretty awful, fever, chills, coughing, so better in my own bed then at a hotel.  When I got off the plane I was so happy to see Geoff's smiling face.

The rest of my stay in Tunbridge Wells was good.  It has really good bus service to the surrounding area and I took the bus to Lewes (which is actually pronounced as Lewis) where there is a Castle.  this one was not as dilapidated as the ones previously seen, and had just as interesting story.  It was originally given to the deWarrennes family after the Battle of Hastings by William the Conqueror.  The Battle of Lewes was fought during the English Civil War, which helped bring about Parliament by representation.  After the castle, i looked around town, stopped at a hotel around since the 1700's and had a cream tea, hopped on a return bus and back to Tunbridge Wells. 

On Saturday I was going to see another house, just outside of TW, but when I woke up, my cold was feeling worse, so I took a sick day, just dozed and read and watched TV.  My room was twice the size as the one in Brighton so I had lots of room to laze in.  Sunday morning I got up and took 3 trains to get to London Victoria, then the bus to Oxford.  I stayed at the same hotel as G&T, very close to the Bus Station.  I walked around Oxford a bit, then met Anne and Del for supper at  Jamie Oliver's Restaurant which was conveniently located just below the hotel.  Food was yummy, company was good and an excellent end to an excellent trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home