Tuesday, March 04, 2014

A Busy Weekend

I had just barely unpacked and recovered from Europe when it was time to hit the road again!  I got back to Tofino on Tuesday, and on Friday I was back on the road to Victoria for the weekend.  Our new Bishop, Logan was consecrated (ordained as a bishop) on Sunday.  I also had a meeting on Saturday, and was looking forward to spending some time with Jeff and Kirsten.

The road down was pretty good, though there was still a lot of snow around Nanaimo.  I had a good weekend with Jeff and Kirsten - we went to a vintage fair (most of which I recognized from Grandma Ferrey's basement) and to a flea market on Sunday morning.  I bought some records for my future record player - Jeff and Kirsten just got one, so they're keeping an eye on them for me.  One of the highlights was a Kate and Anna McGarrigle record that I just love.

The consecration was an amazing service.  It was really long - three hours - but very good.  Logan had had a friend of his who is a hymn-writer (Herbert O'Driscoll for Anglicans in the crowd) write a new hymn to the song from Les Mis "Do You Hear the People Sing".  There was also a group of first nations drummers who drummed Logan to his official Bishop's Chair.  Usually it's some kind of big organ anthem at that point, but Logan asked some people he knows to drum instead.  They spoke as well, and it was very good - comparing our Cathedral to their big houses.  The preacher was also first nations - Martin Brokenleg, who's a fairly famous teacher, but also an Anglican priest.  He called the diocese out on bad behavior toward the last bishop - people who would be rude to him, or walk out of services, and told us he expects better this time!

The best part of the weekend was Saturday afternoon, when a parishioner phoned to say that she'd found Patches!  She really loves cats, and was very worried when she went missing.  She's been looking all week, and kept looking when I was in Victoria.  On Saturday there she was, just hanging out near the house, as if nothing had happened.  Jennie and her husband managed to lay hands on the little beast and bring her home.  When I got in today, she was very happy to see me, and seems to be quite a bit skinnier - though she was pretty fat before, so it's not too bad of a thing.

The one sad piece of the weekend is that a friend of mine, a retired priest from my last church died last week, and we had his funeral yesterday.  I was glad to be able to go, and the current priest at that church asked me to preach, which was nice.  He was a great guy, and I'll miss him.  Nice to see all the people from St. Luke's though!

Now I'm home, and I intend to stay here for a while!

3 Comments:

Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Oh Patches-don't go out again!

4:42 PM  
Blogger bethsivak said...

welcome home Patches!!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Steph said...

Delighted to hear Patches has returned.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home