Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Brighton

After taking a train, train, bus and another train I got to Brighton around 3:00 pm.  I treated myself and took a taxi to the Hotel Mercure.  The Mercure is right across from Brighton Beach, even though it is not beach weather, I like being near the water.  Yesterday I walked over to the Royal Pavilion, and did a tour around there.  They no longer allow pictures inside but I did take pictures inside in 1977, and from my memory things look much the same.  It cost 356 thousand pounds to build, and in 1850 when the City of Brighton bought it they only paid 50 thousand pounds, what a bargain.

Today I went to the Brighton museum, which was very interesting.  They had several exhibits.about Brighton, so I got to learn more about the city.  One of the exhibits was called dirty weekends, because ever since the Prince Regents time, people would slip down to Brighton to have a liaison with their lovers.  Also in the old days when couples needed to have a good reason to divorce, the husband would come to Brighton, hire a room, a woman and pay off a chambermaid to say she caught them "in the act" so they could use adultery.

I am off to Tunbridge Wells tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I saw that Brighton adultery scene in a movie called Any Human Heart!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home