Wednesday, October 30, 2013

puttering along

I don't have a whole lot new. I do have a new head cold, which I've had since last Friday. It is really wearing me down. But happily, I got my proposal revision in to supervisors last Tuesday! So now I just wait til they give me feedback. Since it's a busy time of year for them, I feel that it might be a little while. In the meantime, more reading and note-taking and applying for a grant and the like.

Also, Friday I go into the Edmonton Institution with 2 other librarians. We are going to talk to them about us volunteering to distribute library books there. Apparently they don't have any staff to do this, and because inmates spend most of their time on their units, this will be a welcome service. I feel excited about it! Sometimes I think maybe I'd like to work a job as a prison librarian. I follow a person on facebook who does book clubs with inmates -- a few people do these at the women's prison, and I am wondering if maybe we could do one at the men's too.

Still slowly unpacking after vermin infestation. I bought a second bedbug-proof mattress cover to be certain that I was safe. Worried a bit about a cat clawing the first one.

Went to Toronto for a work trip (helped with a conference / workshop) and it went fine. Super quick - 2 days. Feel quite glad to be home for a bit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

Visit at the max went well. First job is to organize their library, so in 45 minutes, 4 of us made some decisions and made a decent dent in the clutter. Amazing! After that's done, we'll start doing book delivery. We are all excited.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Are the inmates happy about this too?

5:29 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

We will know once we start to distribute.

9:17 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Newsflash-book riot at Edmonton Penitentiary.
Lockdown on lending continues

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home