Thursday, September 19, 2013

And now the end is near

And so we face the final curtain here. 

We went up to Coit Tower yesterday, a tall tower on a steep hill (the only kind of hill they have here). You can see the tower from all over the city and I kept telling myself all week that there was no way I was going to climb that thing. So up we went our last day here and it wasn't that bad a climb. The tower has some really good murals painted there in the thirties. We could have taken a bus but somehow didn't. We are getting quite familiar with the buses. Then we took a cable car to the cable car museum which is also the place where the cars are run from. I love industrial places where real things happen. Had supper in North Beach. Geoff fit in with all the hipsters there and I fit in with the middle-aged tourists.
Went to Alcatraz on Monday. We bought the tickets our first day here and Monday was the first day they were available, it's very popular. On our way over on the ferry I was wondering why we were even going, I was not that interested in Alcatraz, but it was a really good day. It is a national park and we went on a great tour with a ranger (dressed just like in Yogi Bear) about escapes from the prison. Then there is a very good audio tour through the cell block. The whole thing was great.
So we've walked through Chinatown, seen painted ladies, gone to Golden Gate Park, shopped. I will be ready for some down time at home before I have to go back to work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Long said...

Hey boo boo

5:03 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

It feels nice when you've seen enough of a city and are ready to go home.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home