Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Health care+ disney

We just got back from downtown disney. Wow. We are now tired. There is Disney everything.
We will go to Harry potter world thursday. I am super pleased about that.
Hotel is nice. It is a suite, so when either Jude or I are awake in the middle of the night due to jet lag, we can go out to couch and read. They have bath and beyond products, which I take everyday, as it is nice for patients on the unit to have quality hair and bathing products.
Conference is quite good, the business of healthcare is quite prominent here. I plan to go to the hall with sales products tomorrow and take all the pens I can carry.
The best workshop so far has been the British presenters on being an organizational radical. The woman was all about social justice and access to health care. She had some quite good ideas on how to help convince people using stories.
The one that has been the least interesting was on addressing racial disparities, in which the presenters talked about data collection on racial and ethnic indicators. I am pretty sure we all, know that racial minorities don't have the same access by this point in the game. We need to know how to deal with it!
Weather has been lovely. About 27, and when it rains, it does not cool off at all.
This is also a very driving place. There are no sidewalks anywhere.
People are very friendly and polite.
My theory at the conference is that the people who are dressed in full business attire are from the east coast or south. West coast seems to have a more casual feel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

But are there pencils?

I would imagine a British speaker might have more to say that resonates to someone working in a Canadian system. I'd be interested in hearing more about her points about being an organizational radical.

I think sadly it's important to reiterate over and over the points about racial minorities (or whomever) having access to healthcare. It can be easy to think: of course everyone has access in Canada. But think about reserves & others in rural areas, etc.

I wish I was at a hotel with a pool.

12:06 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

oh, I picked up some pencils too.
Also, folding water bottle, many bottles of hand sanitizer, ruler, little flashlights etc.
Her stuff on organizational radical was about really remaining true to your self. And making difference in smaller ways.
She worked with Marshall ganz who helped organize the migrant workers in California and also worked on the Obama campaign.

Keynote speaker at the end was don berwick, google him. He's my new hero

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home