Saturday, November 24, 2012

2 weeks til Orlando!

Sheesh, where has the time gone?

There are people putting up Christmas lights, and I have not started to think of it yet. Someone said they were at someone's house, and they had a Christmas tree up. As Louise would say, 'give me a break'

Nick somehow escaped outside this am, we found him by shaking food container. He got in, Sebastian sniffed him, then hissed at him. Weirdo. Is that the only way cats identify each other?

I have to work on essay this weekend. Class has been ok, though not super interesting. To be frank, nursing theories don't really do a lot for me. I think they try to simplify and make sense of things that are much too complex. There are always situations that don't fit into the theory-so then what is the point of it? Thank heavens we did not focus on them in my undergrad. The interesting piece for me is that I can see where the ideas and focus of the prof directs the content of the class. This class is not at all what I thought it would be-I think it could be lot more interesting, but this prof is into quantitative stuff (research focussed on data such as numbers etc) vs qualitative analysis (research focussed on personal experience-looking for themes in what people say for instance). Hence the focus on nursing theory which attempts to quantify and nail down nursing knowledge.

I tend towards qualitative, seeing reality as more individually based. So, I have been trying to tailor what I do towards what this prof likes. She is probably an anomaly in this program and when UBC took over Okanagan University College, they initially had her as dean of the program. She isn't anymore, but brings in a lot of money, I think, lots of grant work etc. Lots of articles.
 

Politics, it's everywhere.


7 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

Interesting. I don't like qualitative research - or rather, I think it's important to use it to get a sense of what should be looked at (what kinds of questions are people asking? What needs to be found out?) but then use it as a basis for a nice solid quantitative study.

But then I don't know anything about nursing theories.

I participated in someone's masters thesis round-table about women in academe during my PhD. Based on the slant of the questions, she clearly wanted me to say that it was horrible and I was oppressed by the patriarchy, while in reality I found psych/neuro profs to be pretty gender-blind (they only cared about the quality of your work) and my male supervisor was excellent. She was clearly annoyed and I bet she "accidentally" left my comments out of her thesis. This to me is the dodgy side of quantitative research...

6:00 PM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

Trust me, you don't want to know about them, mostly I think they are fine for a small proportion of situations, but there are always the situations that fall outside the norm-like everything.And there are a whole lot of nursing theories out there that no one has heard of-as in no nurses have heard of them either.

I think any kind of study done poorly is just poor research! Regardless of whether qualitative or quantitative. I think psychology is into quantitative more so than nursing. Kind of makes sense though, I think nursing is more relational. sometimes.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Nursing theories are the bane of my existence.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Qualitative and quantative sound too much alike, I can't keep them straight. Good thing I don't need to learn 4050 lingmingnursing theory.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Sorry, that was me trying to log in.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Oh, I thought it was a new swear word.

4:43 AM  
Blogger lisaandrichard said...

I may start using that swear word

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home