Sunday, November 27, 2011

Going to see some Badgers

Counting down the days till I get to fly west! Things going downhill here (or maybe just staying the same - life in Guelph is hardly ever on the uphill) and being driven slowly mad by a combination of bad data and medium-bad house situation. The data's from a version of a study I've been trying to get to work all year. It was great at first, and then it all went downhill, and we've been tweaking it since then with no luck at all. I got sort of scooped by a Dutch group over the summer, which means we have to get our version out the door ASAP, meaning no more time to fiddle around with it. My supervisor changed it once again on Thursday, giving me four days to re-program the experiment and run it before I leave Tuesday. I had a look at the data on Sat and it also looks pretty terrible :( So frustrating.

But of necessity I have to leave it all behind on Tuesday, so that is exciting. Looking forward to seeing everyone and very pleased that Barb is planning to come.

Also am getting out of housing situation come January. I've come to realize that we do not all share the same cleaning standards, shall we say. Could write a book on that topic. I am tired of coming home at 10pm after 12 hours in the lab and still having to take out the bins while certain housemates lounge around playing computer games. Bah. Anyway, the new place is right next to work - like a six-min walk to the lab - and the landlady COMES AND CLEANS THE BATHROOMS EVERY WEEKEND. There are a lot of potential downsides (million other people living there, insanely chatty landlady living next door) but that alone made me sign on the dotted line. Although more expensive to get a one-semester lease, it is actually not all that much more than my current place and utilities are included. AND TOILET PAPER. TOILET PAPER IS INCLUDED. Also light bulbs and garbage bags. No more situations of certain housemates "forgetting" to pitch in for necessary supplies!

So yeah, we'll see how January goes. Moving is a big pain, but most of my stuff is actually still in storage (have been camping out for the last few months, more or less) so might be able to do most of it on the bus.

In the meantime, two trips west to look forward to, so could be much worse.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home